• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Quest question

wildoxmoan

First Post
Hello,

Possible KotS spoilers!

Are the quests that are offered in kots and the xp rewards attached to them awarded above and beyond what the party earns in the various encounters? If so, what would a reasonable xp reward be for undertaking Padraigs quests of the kobold lair and investigating the keep on the shadowfell?

Dalzig

First Post
Hello,

Possible KotS spoilers!

Are the quests that are offered in kots and the xp rewards attached to them awarded above and beyond what the party earns in the various encounters? If so, what would a reasonable xp reward be for undertaking Padraigs quests of the kobold lair and investigating the keep on the shadowfell?

Yes, Quest XP is awarded in addition to encounter XP.

Proper XP for the quest, if you decide it is necessary, would probably be 100-150 XP. The kobold lair is more of a side quest, so less XP is handed out. (Note that Quest XP is split between people who participate. This quest would give 20-25 XP to each person.)

wildoxmoan

First Post
Okay, so the Douven Staul quest is worth 1250Xp...that's 250-315xp per person. I think thats a side quest as well, wouldn't you agree? So how much do you think the kobold lair side quest should be worth? It's a much more difficult quest than the Douven Staul quest. 300-400xp perhaps? And the Keep quest must be worth almost double that per person I should think?

Dalzig

First Post
Okay, so the Douven Staul quest is worth 1250Xp...that's 250-315xp per person. I think thats a side quest as well, wouldn't you agree? So how much do you think the kobold lair side quest should be worth? It's a much more difficult quest than the Douven Staul quest. 300-400xp perhaps? And the Keep quest must be worth almost double that per person I should think?

*shrug* I just went off what the DMG has for quest XP. I feel that the quest rewards in KotS are bloated. This was probably done so that you can actually hit level 3 before the end of the module.

Personally, I wouldn't assign XP based on how difficult the quest is, but on how long it is. Difficulty is already factored in with each individual encounter.

Remove ads