• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

question about a DnD book

Reidentski

First Post
So sorry if this is in the wrong place on the forums, but i was curious if anyone knew the title of a D&D book i could purchase. The kind of book i'm looking for (or even just a link referrence that suits this need) would be a book for beginner's of D&D. Like the book might suggest classes to use for a beginner campaign or maybe that would tell you a few things u should do at the beginning, middle, or end of encounters (i.e. perform perception checks, insight, nature, etc) or tell u these are certain things u should do or certain places/people u should visit when you're in a village/town/city and so on and so forth. i hope that makes sense. i'm just looking for a book that might give some guidence to new players and i figured there would either be a book or a website or something that may provide something like that. perhaps the players handbook is the answer? (i wouldn't know for sure, my DM friend has all the books of course) any help in this matter would be very appreciated =) thanks in advance!

Infiniti2000

First Post
How about browsing the WotC website? Of particular interest, I recommend downloading Keep on the Shadowfell (and others), but not so much for the adventure material but because it includes quick start rules (that are unfortunately slightly outdated with the actual full release of 4E and subsequent errata/FAQ). It will definitely get you started, however, and free of charge! :)

On Puget Sound

First Post
There is a "4th Edition D&D for Dummies" out. I haven't seen it, but the Dummies series tends to be fairly solid and well put together.

Some of the advice you are looking for is stuff your GM should handle since the answers will vary widely depending on setting and campaign or adventure style.

If everyone including the GM is new to the game, start with the adventure in the back of the Dungeon Master's Guide. Then maybe pick up Dungeon Delves and work through a few. Don't bother with Keep on the Shadowfell in my opinion.

DEFINITELY use the character builder. If no one can spring for a subscription, use the demo version that will carry you through 3rd level.

For starting classes:
Cleric
Fighter
Wizard
Ranger

Reidentski

First Post
Hmmm thats a good point about it being to various, but we've read up on the quick start rules and i'm having our new people do it now too (some of us are more familiar w/ D&D style gaming and some aren't at all) but the D&D for dummies does sound like a solid choice. Ty for the advice there infiniti, i'll look into it and see if it would help them out.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads