• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question about awarding XP

Havlo

First Post
Not sure if this should go in the Rules forum or not...feel free to move if needed.

I'm new to DMing and have a quick question. I'm running a group of 4 players. The other night one of them fell in a pit trap, survived and got out on his own. Should I award XP for overcoming the trap to just that player or the whole party?

Dextolen

Community Supporter
The whole party. He's a part of the group and his survival/death effects the rest of the group. We keep it simple, unless a character is not participating in an adventure (i.e. stays home), group shares all exp.

Marimmar@Home

First Post
As Dextolen said, just share the XP. The only time I make an exception is when a character is separated from the group or the group is split - then I award individual XP. <ic> You missed the big fight, you ain't gonna get XP in my game buddy. </ic> :cool:

~Marimmar

shadoe

First Post
I might be going against the majority here, but first I have to ask a question: Were the other three characters around at all for this pit trap?

If they were not around when it was encountered, and did not help in finding a way to avoid it, they should not get expierence for it.

If they were around, had to find a way to get around it, or offered suggestions for how to escape it, etc. They should receive expierence for it.

Just my thoughts

Havlo

First Post
Yeah, they were there. They were following the lead player (who fell in), so I guess they should get xp.

It's funny, we're all very experienced players (been playing for years) and I am running the Sunless Citadel, WOTC's "beginner" module, so you know it is going to be full of dungeon cliches, right? Our monk was in the lead and fell in the pit trap right outside the entrance to the _first room_ of the citadel because he didn't bother to check for traps. I couldn't stop laughing.

Seonaid

Explorer
I'm a firm believer in party XP, but I'm also a firm believer in individual XP. In this case, if the rest of the party did nothing to help, (I feel) the individual alone should get the XP. It's pissifying (can I say that?) when I do something that no one else can/did do and everyone is rewarded for it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads