• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question about Cleric Domains

skelso

First Post
I have a player, playing a mystic theurge, who wants to take the Arcane Disciple feat to add a domain to his Wizard spells. However, he wants to add a domain that's not on the list for his deity. I've told him that the answer is probably going to be no, but that I'd research and ask around about it.

My question is: Is there a feat, rule or precedent of any kind to allow a character to take a domain not on his deity's list?

In case it is significant, I'm running the Pathfinder: Rise of the Runelords campaign and his deity is Pharasma. I don't remember what domain he's asking for, but I recall it seemed a little inappropriate to his deity.

Thanks for any advice!

moritheil

First Post
skelso said:
I have a player, playing a mystic theurge, who wants to take the Arcane Disciple feat to add a domain to his Wizard spells. However, he wants to add a domain that's not on the list for his deity. I've told him that the answer is probably going to be no, but that I'd research and ask around about it.

My question is: Is there a feat, rule or precedent of any kind to allow a character to take a domain not on his deity's list?

In case it is significant, I'm running the Pathfinder: Rise of the Runelords campaign and his deity is Pharasma. I don't remember what domain he's asking for, but I recall it seemed a little inappropriate to his deity.

Thanks for any advice!

Yes, there are quite a few prestige classes that allow that, as well as an epic feat. However, I would not allow Arcane Disciple to add a domain that the patron does not normally offer. If he wants the domain that badly, he can find room for one of those prestige classes in his progression.

Maleketh

First Post
The developers have always played a bit fast and loose with domains. If you look at the new doamins in Complete Warrior and Complete Divine, you'll see that they list which Greyhawk deities should have them, to the point that any given deity could have a dozen or more associated domains. It's not exactly what you asked for, I know, but it's at least similar, I think.

Here's my solution; take it or leave it as you like. You mention that the player's desired domain seems inappropriate to his deity. Ask him to explain how that domain ties into the god's portfolio, and why the god would have the power to grant access to it. If he can give you a reasonable explanation - that is, one that satisfies you - let him do it. If his reason just seems too weeak or outlandish, tell him no.

skelso

First Post
moritheil said:
Yes, there are quite a few prestige classes that allow that, as well as an epic feat. However, I would not allow Arcane Disciple to add a domain that the patron does not normally offer. If he wants the domain that badly, he can find room for one of those prestige classes in his progression.

Sounds good. Thanks!

Maleketh said:
The developers have always played a bit fast and loose with domains. If you look at the new doamins in Complete Warrior and Complete Divine, you'll see that they list which Greyhawk deities should have them, to the point that any given deity could have a dozen or more associated domains. It's not exactly what you asked for, I know, but it's at least similar, I think.

Here's my solution; take it or leave it as you like. You mention that the player's desired domain seems inappropriate to his deity. Ask him to explain how that domain ties into the god's portfolio, and why the god would have the power to grant access to it. If he can give you a reasonable explanation - that is, one that satisfies you - let him do it. If his reason just seems too weeak or outlandish, tell him no.

Thanks for the advice. This is what I'll do if he really presses the issue after I've said no.

eamon

Explorer
Maleketh said:

This is also what I do. I'd also like to add that I really try to allow most domain choices: clerics have fairly few customization options as-is, and being forced into playing yet another bland cleric doesn't make a support class much more fun and memorable. Sorcerer's have their spell selection, fighter's their feats and easy multiclassing (since anything with BAB basically goes just fine), wizards have spell selection, feats and school specialization, but clerics only have the domains, which is a far less influential choice even if they have complete freedom. I usually don't require the domain to fit into a god's portfolio, but rather, the cleric to fit into the god's portfolio but then himself be free to choose how to do that.

Remove ads