• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question about converting elements of 3.x to C&C

Evil_Dead_Jedi

First Post
So, I am working on an EverQuest d20 conversion for C&C and I don't know if I should keep the base attack bonus of the d20 version or use the base to hit of C&C.

I would also like to use the "+x" HD per level starting at level 11 like C&C to lower overall hit points, thus reducing the amount of combat time. This raises another question, is that going to be ok since some EQ spells do a set amount of damage at higher levels? This will make the spells more powerful won't it, since the average amount of HP will be lower than if I used a full HD roll per level? Also, if I use the BAB from 3.x, it is higher than the BtH of C&C so people will get hit more often, and will this make the lower overall HP a very bad thing? Will it counterbalance too much?

Should I just keep everything the same for EQ d20 and just use the basic SIEGE engine for skill checks? I have thought about just giving a (very) few specific Feats on certain levels (modified to be an Ability in C&C terms) such as tracking for rangers, move silently for rogues, spell focus for wiards, etc.

I think I should just keep everything the same and use the SIEGE engine (thus cutting out skills and feats and just making a few of the feats special abilities you automatically get at certain levels), but I am not good at judging the mechanical bonuses and limitations of the systems. It seems like it should be a very simple and logical choice but for some reason my mind cannot wrap around the concept properly right now.

timbannock

Hero
Supporter
I'm vaguely familiar with both, but no expert, so take this with a grain of salt:

If you're planning to use EQ classes, there's a lot of conversion to do to C&C. You'll have to balance the magic users with the fighty classes (if you think there should be balance in the first place; some people don't care).

If you're planning on just attaching EQ spells to the C&C classes, then yes, you'll have to carefully watch the spells. EQ spells get pretty extreme, so you might want to use C&C classes, but EQ hit points and spells. Then you just have to ramp up the power of the fighty classes to achieve some balance.

Which parts exactly are you trying to convert? Maybe that'll help develop some answers.

Treebore

First Post
There are a number of questions you need to figure out the answers too. As for feats and skills there are essentially two paths you can go. One is to keep it as identical as you can to 3E. Relate it to levels, to attributes, class sills, etc...

Or you can go the route I did, full on SIEGE rules. This means to largely throw away the set formats of feats and skills. This means turn everything into a SIEGE check and get rid of the lists, pre req's etc...

So with the way I do it you do not need a list of feats. You wan to do it make a SIEGE check to see if you can do it.

You want to do what would be called a power attack in in 3E? Fine, roll a D20 and beat a TN of 12 with a CL equal to however many points you wish to transfer. Since you make this check using your BtH, you won't ever be transferring a lot, but you can consistently do it with a couple of points at a time. You wish to pull off a Whirlwind? Sure, but you must roll and beat a TN of 12 +4 + the average HD of the opponents against whom you wish to do the attack.

Are you a spellcaster and you wish to maximize your spell? Sure, just roll and beat a TN of 12 +3 + the level of your spell being maximized. So if you want to maximize the fireball then you better beat a final TN of 18, adding only your level to your roll.

So you get rid of the lists, maybe keep some of the level modifiers (like the +3 spell adjustment came straight from 3E feats), and just allow the players to roll for whatever effect it is they desire. They succeed at the roll, great, if not they don't get the effect. In the case of spells I have them lose the spell.

Why? Well, it one thing to have a fighter attacking every round doing their 5 to 20 points per attack, but when the 10th level mage pulls off their maximized fireball, doing 30 or 60 points to everyone within the area of effect, that is like comparing a firecracker to a hand grenade. So having spellcasters lose their spell helps balance out their doing such maximizes and other powerful meta magic type feats.

As to you other questions, I don't own the setting, so I don't know how the spells are written, but I am sure things can be modified, its just a question of how to go about doing it. I just can't help you since I don't have any reference.

I do know there are some fans of the setting on the TLG forums, so maybe posting there and asking can get you some better feedback.

Evil_Dead_Jedi

First Post
Thanks for the replies fellas. I think what I will likely do (assuming I get around to it) is simply get rid of skills and feats altogether and use the full on SIEGE resolution system. I will talk to the players and if they really want to use feats I will probably use the guidelines Treebore laid out. Our sessions are few and far between so I have plenty of time to make my decision and we can always change it around as the games go on.

neuronphaser you are right, there would have to be a lot of tweaking to both systems for it to work that way so I will probably just go the SIEGE route. Thanks for pointing it out, you probably saved me a TON of headache, lol. If you guys have any more thoughts I am open for them!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads