• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question about enc./daily powers

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Triangleman27 said:
Are all of them going to be 'single-use' or can you assign a single power to multiple slots like 3.5 spells and ToB maneuvers?
AFAIK, you cannot assign a single maneuver to several slots in ToB. Looks the same for 4E.

Cheers, LT.

Colmarr

First Post
A related question

A related question:

If you have multiple /encounter powers (such as the pregens Erais the Sunlord or Riardon Brightvale), can you use them all in the same encounter?

A source for your answer would be appreciated.

Deadstop

Explorer
I would imagine that you normally can.

However, the pregen cleric and paladin have "Channel Divinity" encounter powers which specifically state that you can only use one Channel Divinity power per encounter, not one of each.

Because it's specifically mentioned there that you can't use more than one Channel Divinity power in the same encounter, I would presume that you normally can use multiple encounter powers (but not the same one multiple times) in an encounter.

Deadstop

Triangleman27

First Post
I recently read a fantasy manga called Claymore. This fighter-type char had to use an extremely taxing, but powerful maneuver (she twists her swordarm 2 dozen times and uses the built-up kinetic energy for a corkscrew attack) against a golem-like monster -a perfect example of a martial daily. However, it wasn't totally effective the first time and she had to do it again -but at great risk to her health.

I'm thinking a possible house-rule that lets you sacrifice Healing Surges (1 for an Enc. and all of them for a Daily) to regain expendable powers. Although I'm sure the final product will have some kind of 'in-battle' recharge mechanic.

JohnSnow

Hero
Triangleman27 said:
I recently read a fantasy manga called Claymore. This fighter-type char had to use an extremely taxing, but powerful maneuver (she twists her swordarm 2 dozen times and uses the built-up kinetic energy for a corkscrew attack) against a golem-like monster -a perfect example of a martial daily. However, it wasn't totally effective the first time and she had to do it again -but at great risk to her health.

I'm thinking a possible house-rule that lets you sacrifice Healing Surges (1 for an Enc. and all of them for a Daily) to regain expendable powers. Although I'm sure the final product will have some kind of 'in-battle' recharge mechanic.

Be aware that if you let players expend healing surges to recover expendable powers, you reintroduce the problem of "the 5-minute adventuring day."

Not that you can't do it, but you should be aware of the implications.

invokethehojo

First Post
I first encountered encounter powers in the Dungeonscape book, a la my friend playing a factotum. It totally screwed the session because no one could find a rule that described how to handle per encounter powers when your not in an encounter... are they unlimited then?

I'm hoping with 4e being designed around encounter powers (and non-combat encounters) that there is a rule on this... does anyone know?

I ended up (being the DM) telling my friend he could only use these powers during combat because it was the adrenaline rush that allowed him to pull them off.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Triangleman27 said:
Are all of them going to be 'single-use' or can you assign a single power to multiple slots like 3.5 spells and ToB maneuvers?

You can prepare the same spell more than once by using additional slots, however, ToB is different. The same maneuver CANNOT be used more than once in an encounter. Once expended it is gone for that battle.

You can recover expended maneuvers in battle ONLY by following the recovery method outlined for the ToB class you are playing, or as a full round action if you have the Adaptive Style feat.

JesterOC

Explorer
invokethehojo said:
I'm hoping with 4e being designed around encounter powers (and non-combat encounters) that there is a rule on this... does anyone know?

According to a recent "The Tome" Podcast with Andy Collins, encounter powers can be used every five minutes outside of combat.

My group used it to regain more hitpoints with there surges by adding a healing word to each use outside of combat. Took longer, but saved many surges.

JesterOC.

Remove ads