• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question about fantasy RPG map downloads

mikeschley

First Post
I was wondering what the most effective and user friendly format would be for map downloads. I've just set up a website with a lot of fantasy RPG oriented work and am considering including a section devoted to a personal line of high-res tactical maps suitable for easy download and printing.

One big issue will be to include seperate versions for the DM and players. The DM's will have notes and secrets included and will be sized to fit on a single page if possible. The players, on the other hand, will be presented at standard mini size and only include what the characters can directly see.

At this point, I'm considering starting off with a set of generic keeps in pdf format. What would you guys feel is an optimal file size for easy download? Would multipage pdf's, like Dungeon's supplements, be helpful? Any feedback or suggestions would be great.

To get an idea of the quality of the maps I've produced so far for Wizards, check out the map section of my website mikeschley.com and some of my posts in the art and cartography forums. I'm intending to maintain the same high level of detail for the new non-WOTC maps.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
PDFs are nice because you can easily have 1" grids print out at exactly 1".

Edit: By the way, your work is awesome! I was going to say you should do this professionally, but seeing your WotC credits, I'm sure you already figured that out. ;)

At the d20 Modern forum, in the Resident Evil thread, they're experimenting with transparency for indoor maps. Here: http://s51.photobucket.com/albums/f398/UrbanSniper69/RE Maps - Revised/ I found these maps very easy to use.

By the way, I am of the opinion that there aren't nearly enough outdoor maps. Not all encounters are indoors or underground! Outdoor maps also need hills, streams, and individual trees (for taking cover and the like)... IMO.

My printer is currently dead, and IMO it could handle nearly anything... PDF, image files, and so forth. I find image files to be a bit easier to work with, but PDFs are probably superior in everything except the speed of actually opening the files up.

mikeschley

First Post
Sounds like PDF's are the way to go then. :) I'll experiment with the layout a bit and post a test map here once I work everything out.

By the way, thanks for the nice words jaerdaph. :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads