• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question about: Giants attacking "unarmed"

paulewaug

So I don't see any of the Giants having anything special for their unarmed attacks in their entry.

My main quesion is:
"If a Giant makes an Unarmed Attack does it provoke an AoO?"
(It would seem to me they do-)

If so how is this affected by their Reach?
(I would imagine they take the hit to their "extended bodypart" so to speak, although there are no game mechanics for this really...I would just imagine this for "fluff" purposes.)

Are these damage ranges accurate for various Giants unarmed attacks?
(Using Human/Medium UnArmed Damage of 1d3 as the base)
Large Giants (Hill/Stone/Frost/Fire) one size larger=1d4
Huge Giants (Cloud/Storm) one size larger than that=1d6

So a:
Hill Giant: 1d4+7
Stone Giant: d4+8
Frost Giant: 1d4+9
Fire Giant: 1d4+10
Cloud Giant: 1d6+12
Storm Giant: 1d6+14

Maitre Du Donjon

First Post
Unarmed Attack and AoO: Good question. Looking into the MMII, it would appear that the giant does NOT provoke an AoO when striking with his fist, because it is considered a slam attack. Large giants do indeed cause 1d4 with their slam attack (strength bonus notwithstanding), huge giants 1d6, Gargantuan giants 1d8 and colossal giants 2d6

Reach: The giant has a certain reach, which only changes if the giant is using some type of appropriate reach weapon for its size.

Maitre D

Someone

Adventurer
Some giants in the MM II do indeed have slam attacks, but the majority of them do not have natural attacks and thus I believe their unarmed attacks are treated like everyone else.

About the reach thing, if they are outside of your threatened area they shouldn´t provoke them, even attacking unarmed.

Maitre Du Donjon

First Post
Someone said:
About the reach thing, if they are outside of your threatened area they shouldn´t provoke them, even attacking unarmed.

Oops, misread paulewag's question. I agree with that answer (ie its not the limb that's provoking the AoO, but the giant itself, and if you can't reach the giant, you don't get and AoO).

Someone said:
Some giants in the MM II do indeed have slam attacks, but the majority of them do not have natural attacks and thus I believe their unarmed attacks are treated like everyone else.

How do we know that some kind of giants don't have natural attacks? Just because it doesn't have "slam" in its attack routine description?

Maitre D

Remove ads