• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question About Godlike Stature from Eternal Defender Epic Desitiny

Ryujin

Legend
. . .and if you could already use Large weapons, this ED would grant you Huge weapons, which waves at stupid as it bolts straight to ridiculous.

Jay

And so all the known universe came to be ruled by a party of 5 Bugbear Eternal Defender polearm fighters, who tossed all and sundry opponents like unto a Caesar Salad.

Flipguarder

First Post
You can be cool with 4d10 at wills and godawful reach. I'd probably not be, were I DMing an Epic game.

Jay

Most you can get is either
2d10 mordekand reach 2 (brutal 1)
2d6 greatspear reach 3.

Powerful but so are many other EDs. Id also like to point out that I don't believe there is any other feature that increases the size of weapon you can wield.

Turtlejay

First Post
At epic MBA's and most at-wills become 2[w].

Meaning that the most optimized non-huge weapon wielding character will be doing 4d6, while the cheesed out huge weapon wielder could do 4d10. That is a difference in max damage of 16 points, nothing to sneeze at, and a difference in average damage of 8. It is a big thing.

The disparity grows as you add [w]'s, too. It becomes one of those things that is too good *not* to do. Rage Strike for 9[w] damage? 18d10 vs 18d6? 38 difference in average damage.

So, again, allow this if you'd like in your game, but I see it as one of those broken combos I'm glad doesn't exist in my game.

Jay

J. R. Scherer

First Post
Meaning that the most optimized non-huge weapon wielding character will be doing 4d6, while the cheesed out huge weapon wielder could do 4d10. That is a difference in max damage of 16 points, nothing to sneeze at, and a difference in average damage of 8. It is a big thing.
How do you get a medium sized character to wield a huge sized weapon? What path do you take to this cheese? The only option I'm aware of for medium sized characters to wield larger weapons is Eternal Defender.

Turtlejay

First Post
You don't, but it was being discussed that allowing traditionally 'big' characters, like minotaurs and goliaths to use Large weapons is not game breaking. The wording of this ED means they would be able to upsize from Large to Huge. I'm just arguing the counter-point, that not having Large weapons all over is a good thing. Kind of in a devil's advocate kind of way, since that was one of my favorite tricks in 3.5.

Jay

Remove ads