• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question about Magic Circle Against Evil

Joust

First Post
This question is based on the 3.5 version of the spell.

I'm wondering if the protection effects (to AC and saves) of Magic Circle Against Evil move with the creature touched. The area description of the spell says: 10-ft.-radius emanation from touched creature. I interpret that to mean if the creature moves, the spell moves too. But the spell description doesn't say specifically if this is the case, or if the protection given is immobile once cast. I noticed that other emanation spell descriptions usually state whether they affect an area or move with the creature touched.

I know this spell can be used in different ways, including trapping a nongood called creature. I can understand that this would be an immobile barrier, but I'm specifically questioning the protection aspects of the spell.

The fact that the Arcane material component calls for creating an actual circle on the floor might imply the protection is not mobile; however, the same component is used in Protection from Evil, and that spell description specifically states that the spell moves with the creature touched.

I don't know if there has been an official ruling on this. Your input would be appreciated.

Hjorimir

Adventurer
The short of it is that if you cast it on a creature it moves with the creature. The other use is to create a summoning cirlce (which I believe is dicussed in the magic chapter) where it is stationary.

The Area entry gives you the indication if the spell is mobile or not. In this case ("Area: 10-ft.-radius emanation from touched creature"), the spell emanates from the touched creature, and thus moves if the touched creature moves.

If we take another example, Silence: "Area: 20-ft.-radius emanation centered on a creature, object, or point in space." The Silence effect, if cast on a creature or object, will move with its target. On the other hand, if the spell is cast on a point in space, it will stay stationary.

If we take yet another example, Globe of Invulnerability: "Area: 10-ft.-radius spherical emanation, centered on you." Hm. The spell description implies that the globe is stationary. The spell is cast where you are, but not ON you.

AR

Remove ads