• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question about Magic Holy Symbols

Larrin

Entropic Good
I think the correct solution is the one that allows a cleric to use 80% of found holy symbols. What that looks like can vary per DM. The 20% of not being usable would be if the whole point of the holy symbol violated the clerics concept (undead symbol wouldn't be usable by cleric of god who hates undead) or is specifically dedicated to an evil (assuming PC=good,unaligned).

cerberus2112

First Post
Players Handbook pg 236: A holy symbol represents your deity and takes the shape of an aspect of the god.

Its vague, but it can be interpreted as mighy morphin' holy symbols.

Last edited:

Arbitrary

First Post
It is no more complicated than the DM is assumed to not be adding magic items as treasure that the players cannot use.

That's it. This particular situation is merely an easily remedied oddity brought about when changes are made to the recommended treasure system.

thegrizz

First Post
Arbitrary said:
The DMG points out clearly that you are not supposed to include items that no one can use. As soon as you are getting away from the way you are assumed to award treasure it has unintended consequences. This is one of them. It isn't a huge deal really, but if you use a rules as written argument for why they cannot use an implement you've screwed up as you aren't using loot as written.

I thought really hard about it but I couldn't find a reason to punish Clerics and Paladins. Giving them the extra hurdle of having to either make their own implements or somehow find the correct ones didn't accomplish anything. They have no more character power than Wizards and Warlocks or classes that just care about magic weapons.

For the most part a generic, out of the PHB symbol, will mold itself to the spiritual inclination of the user. There will be exceptions of course but for now a focus is a focus is a focus.

I have to agree the DMG does point out clearly that you should not include treasure the players can't use. However I have a very hard time believing the blood priest of one diety would use a compatible holy symbol. Sorry I know I am supposed to keep the idea of rewarding the characters in mind, but what is so wrong with giving the monster the occasional kewl item as well? I mean does not the goblin war chief deserve a sword passed down through generations just as much as the fighter?

Vanuslux

Explorer
Skizac said:
PHB page 56:

Code:
To grant its benefit to a divine character, a holy symbol
must represent the character’s patron deity or one of a
group of deities the character serves.

Thanks...that seems like a strange place to be the only place that talks about implements that actually says that.

Arbitrary said:
The DMG points out clearly that you are not supposed to include items that no one can use.

It's going to be interesting to see how that applies to published modules, which is what this case was (KotS). I'd actually intended on changing the deity to the deity of the only divine using PC, but I was up at 2am magic index cards for each of the items in the module and forgot to change it as I was writing the card so when I handed it out I just stuck to what I handed out and ruled that the PC could rededicate it on the grounds that his actions walked in line with both deities tenants, the deities weren't hostile to each other, and the character's alignment wasn't objectionable to either deity.

infocynic said:
I created a ritual for this purpose since I read a few threads suggesting the need for one, and wrote it up.

This is what I would have done if I'd had more time to prepare for the issue. I think a ritual to reconsecrate a holy symbol into the service of another deity is pretty reasonable. I guess in effect, this is what I did, save that I handwaved the ritual rather than wrote actual rules for it.

Saitou

First Post
Another idea: Holy Symbols gained as treasure are pried from the cold dead hands of fallen clerics/paladins that just so happened to worship your deity. Evil clerics with evil deity symbols fall out of this rule, but I don't think they're counted towards treasure packages. Disenchant those.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads