• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question about Polymorph any Object

DeBhaal

First Post
Ok, Ive read the spell description, and can not determine if something is allowed or not.

What I want to know is:
Can Polymorph any Object be used to polymorph wood or possibly something else into Lead..

If so, what would be the best thing to use, and for casting Permanacy on it, what would the XP cost be?

The reason I want to know, is something that came up in another Thread, the one about how to cheaply build a stronghold.
Spell level isnt a problem, nor is money, but I want to see how cheaply it can be done.

Friend of mine has a level 38 magic-user that we will be transfering to 3e rules from 2e rules soon since I just recived the ELH. so spell casting isnt much of a problem, nor are resources, but I took this as a personal challenge. :)

Any help would be greatly appreicated. :)

LordAO

First Post
Originally posted by DeBhaal
Can Polymorph any Object be used to polymorph wood or possibly something else into Lead..

Yes, polymorph any object can literally turn anything into anything else (except valuable metals/gems for some reason).

If so, what would be the best thing to use, and for casting Permanacy on it, what would the XP cost be?

Polymorph self can't be used with permanancy (though i suppose the DM can allow it). Instead its duration is based upon the severity of the change. (see the spell's description)

The reason I want to know, is something that came up in another Thread, the one about how to cheaply build a stronghold.
Spell level isnt a problem, nor is money, but I want to see how cheaply it can be done.

There are many spells which can help. Telekinesis and levitate are extremely useful for lifting blocks and other such things without cranes. Stoneshape can be used to shape stone objects, very good if the caster has craft (stonemasonry). Polymorh any Object can be useful for transforming one type of mineral, wood, etc into a more desirable type (granite to marble, ash to oak, etc.)

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
One of the problems with permanecy is it can be displelled. What if you researched a superior Ploymorph any object that made the changes forever?

DeBhaal

First Post
Originally posted by Crothian
One of the problems with permanecy is it can be displelled. What if you researched a superior Ploymorph any object that made the changes forever?
In the case of Polymorph any Object being used to change soemthing into Lead, wouldnt it have to be targeted directly on the lead? I dont plan on the walls being lead, that contributes to a short life(and the life of an adventurer is already short ;) it doesnt need any help). The plan is for it to be set up similar to this:
W|L|W

W=wall; L=lead

The wall being somewhere around 1-2 feet thick, and the Lead beign about an inch to 5 inches thick, followed by another thick section of wall. So even a targeted Dispel would be difficult, plus you have to know that it is polymorphed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by LordAO
Polymorph self can't be used with permanancy (though i suppose the DM can allow it). Instead its duration is based upon the severity of the change. (see the spell's description)
I assume you are refering to the spell Polymorph Self. I can understand that not being able to be made Permanent(without greater than a 5th level spell would permit), but how does that apply to Polymorph any Object? It isnt to hard to imagine, that a high level spell caster could make that Permanent, not to mention the fact that it doenst say it cant be made Permanent, but Im sure that a spell can be created high enough level to make Polymorph any Object permanent.

LordAO

First Post
DeBhaal said:
I can understand that not being able to be made Permanent(without greater than a 5th level spell would permit), but how does that apply to Polymorph any Object? It isnt to hard to imagine, that a high level spell caster could make that Permanent, not to mention the fact that it doenst say it cant be made Permanent, but Im sure that a spell can be created high enough level to make Polymorph any Object permanent.

Didn't you read the spell description? If you turn one thing into something similar, it IS permanent. No permanency required! You simply add up the duration factor and compare it to the table. I'm not sure if this is legal, but if you want to even make a drastic change permanent, you can always cast it multiple times, changing it gradually each time, until it is permanent.

DeBhaal

First Post
That is true, I wonder, would Polymorphing wood into Petrified Wood then be considered a mineral?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the help on that bit of confusion, anyone want to try and give hints on what the best spells would be, and what type of location would be best to build it at. I was thinking, underground, or in a mountain, both are possible and not to difficult to create, just be alittle more expensive for the second...

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Astlin

First Post
My favorite construction spells:

Move Earth
Transmute Rock to Mud
Transmute Mud to Rock
Stone Shape
Polymorph any Object (soft stone into hard 'worked' stone. Even soft stone to lead would be permanent if you kept it the same size.)

Dispell magic will only work vs 'ongoing spells', so you can't dispell a permanent polymorph.

Astlin

rhammer2

First Post
Any spell that is permanent in duration can be dispelled. For it to be immune to dispelling the spell would have to be instantaneous.

Astlin said:
My favorite construction spells:

Move Earth
Transmute Rock to Mud
Transmute Mud to Rock
Stone Shape
Polymorph any Object (soft stone into hard 'worked' stone. Even soft stone to lead would be permanent if you kept it the same size.)

Dispell magic will only work vs 'ongoing spells', so you can't dispell a permanent polymorph.

Astlin

DeBhaal

First Post
*bump*

I know about dispelling a permanent spell, but it still has to be targeted, and you have to know it was polymorphed to target it(otherwise you have the chance of wasting a spell).

Thanks for the ideas Astlin, I had thought of most of those, had forgotten about Move Earth.

Any one else have some ideas, or varients of other spells that arent quite what you would think to use.

How about defending it, and I still havent heard any ideas of where would be the best place to 'build' it. ;)

Remove ads