• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question about Shackled City (SPOILER)

Jhaelen

First Post
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
I remember one significant encounter in the game where the "raw" level of the characters is very important related to the power of a special monster. Be sure to spread out if you encounter it.
Oh, yes, I definitely remember that one. Being unaccustomed to high level games I had never before looked closely at that ... power. I really don't like it at all. It either screws you completely or doesn't do much of anything - looks more like a tool for BBE-DMs...

Jhaelen said:
Oh, yes, I definitely remember that one. Being unaccustomed to high level games I had never before looked closely at that ... power. I really don't like it at all. It either screws you completely or doesn't do much of anything - looks more like a tool for BBE-DMs...
It is also an interesting example how the disparity between CR and HD can break the game in a very deadly way...

MithrasRahl

First Post
Quick update, we just had the EL 20 fight, and I gotta say, I think the DM was pulling his punches. We seemed to be in control the entire time, though an Ogre mage and the chick with the eyestalk managed to escape (stupid teleport).

MithrasRahl said:
Quick update, we just had the EL 20 fight, and I gotta say, I think the DM was pulling his punches. We seemed to be in control the entire time, though an Ogre mage and the chick with the eyestalk managed to escape (stupid teleport).

Why is the DM pulling his punches if you guys seem to be in control of the fight? It doesn't seem to make sense.

If 3 PC's were down and the others weren't looking good I could see that things would be a little different but it doesn't sound like that's the case here.

Olaf the Stout

MithrasRahl

First Post
Well, I don't know that he did, it just seemed that we got through it fairly easily.

There were a bunch of save or die throws that we succeeded on, lots of damage dealt, but the healer had Heal and DC 29 sanctuary effects on all his mass conjuration (Healing) spells, the party wizard cast maximized empowered Chain Lightning during the surprise round (sudden feats for both), we were hasted, recitation, blessed, I've got a Force bow, we had two tanks with 130/181 HP respectively that regularly do 60 dmg a hit, so we were pretty rocking.

Remove ads