• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question about Storm of vengeance

Tar-Edhel

First Post
The spell reads: If you continue to concentrate, the spell generates addtionnal effects in each following round.

We first thought that you applied the effects separately. First round deafening, second round acid, etc.

But our cleric is arguing that 'generates additional effects' means that those effects stacks as they appear.

First round: deafening, second round: deafening and acid, third round: lightning, deafenng and acid, etc

I think the spell is powerful even if the effects don't stack. The lightning bolts alone can deal 60d6 and the AoE is huge 360' radius.

But I'd like to know how you guys understand it.

Thanks

Last edited:

Dr. Zoom

First Post
IMO, the spell would be very specific if the effects stacked each round. I understand the cleric's argument with the word "additional," but I don't think that was the intent of the spell, just a poor choice of words.

The best guideline for these types of arguments is that you only get what the spell says you get, nothing more. Don't try to hinge a questionable interpretation on an ambiguous word or vague sentence. That should keep you from inflating a spell's power.

Berk

First Post
I always played it as in addition to. Course that was my own interrpritation of the spell. To me the spell would seem kinda dinky if ya didn't get the acid rain every round of it and such. I think it makes the spell a bit more on par with other powerful 9th level spells that way. I mean yeah sure the range is huge and everything but look at the casting time!

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Berk - the spell already does some 66d6 of damage over 4 rounds. Your ruling bumps it up to some 103d6 damage over 10 rounds (plus all the additional effects).

My point of view - it's a bit much for a cleric spell already. A full round of casting's primary disadvantage is that you could miss with it. When the spell has a radius of 360 feet, that suddenly becomes a lot less likely.

Simply put, it's one of the 9th level spells that emphasises what is supposed to be a wizard speciality - destruction. Why does it exist? Why doesn't a wizard get equivalent spells which emphasise a cleric's speciality? Why on earth isn't it on the druid list?

Super_Troll

First Post
I agree with Saeviomagy. This spell may not be the best of the 9th level ones when it comes to single/small combat. But it will devestate a large group. I would not allow the effects to stack each round.

Berk

First Post
My point of view - it's a bit much for a cleric spell already. A full round of casting's primary disadvantage is that you could miss with it. When the spell has a radius of 360 feet, that suddenly becomes a lot less likely.

And getting out of a 360' radius is hard how? Especially when you have several rounds before anything anywhere near bad happens. If people wanna be silly and stay within the radius of the effect then let them get destroyed. Everything doesn't happen at once. First some thunder. Then some very little hurtfull rain with the thunder. If you aren't seeking sturdy shelter or running for your life by now then you deserve to get hit by every lightning bolt.

I agree with Saeviomagy. This spell may not be the best of the 9th level ones when it comes to single/small combat. But it will devestate a large group. I would not allow the effects to stack each round.

A large group that doesn't move? And yes I am sure if your 17th+ level cleric is gonna start casting StoV on a large group like oh say an army I am sure the effects won't get past the 2nd round, 3rd if the cleric is really lucky.

Last edited:

Celebrim

Legend
The Dungeon magazine which featured the first published Epic Level module (someone help me out with number and title) had a very extensive discussion of the effects of Storm of Vengence, and if I remember correctly, the effects stacked.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Berk said:

And getting out of a 360' radius is hard how? Especially when you have several rounds before anything anywhere near bad happens. If people wanna be silly and stay within the radius of the effect then let them get destroyed. Everything doesn't happen at once. First some thunder. Then some very little hurtfull rain with the thunder. If you aren't seeking sturdy shelter or running for your life by now then you deserve to get hit by every lightning bolt.

A large group that doesn't move? And yes I am sure if your 17th+ level cleric is gonna start casting StoV on a large group like oh say an army I am sure the effects won't get past the 2nd round, 3rd if the cleric is really lucky.

Depends on the group. An army couldn't move effectively out of the area of effect asuming they recognized the spell and knew to start moving before the 2nd round. And even then if they don't regognize the spell they might go with somethign like raising there shields above there heads to try and protect themselves from the effects.

And also I really wouldn't expect the cleric to get interupted.

3 spells, spell resistance, anit-life circle, windwall. Once those are up the cleric is a virtually immune firing platform. Is it possible to get through to the cleric sure. Just really freakin difficult if your even when a really high level spellcaster.

Berk

First Post
Depends on the group. An army couldn't move effectively out of the area of effect asuming they recognized the spell and knew to start moving before the 2nd round. And even then if they don't regognize the spell they might go with somethign like raising there shields above there heads to try and protect themselves from the effects.

And also I really wouldn't expect the cleric to get interupted.

3 spells, spell resistance, anit-life circle, windwall. Once those are up the cleric is a virtually immune firing platform. Is it possible to get through to the cleric sure. Just really freakin difficult if your even when a really high level spellcaster.

Completely circumstantial. Any army that lets someone get close enough to cast the spell is foolish.

And as for the spells the cleric would put up. Greater dispelling. Hell, even that on the StoV would work. You would figure an army to be prepared for such things. I mean if 17th+ level clerics are walking around trying to destroy armies the armies gotta have some kind of protection in the way of magic like oh say, either a high level cleric or mage themselves. I mean, something has to be up when it starts to rain acid. So like I said if the cleric is lucky, 3 rounds will go by before either the spell is dispelled or the cleric is interrupted.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
They might have greater dispelling, but they might not have a good enough one to deal with a 17+caster. Perpared for spells is one thing prepared for 9th level spells is entirely another.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads