• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question about Storm of vengeance

Berk

First Post
They might have greater dispelling, but they might not have a good enough one to deal with a 17+caster. Perpared for spells is one thing prepared for 9th level spells is entirely another.

Even regular dispel magic would work if cqast by a 10th+ level unless the cleric casting StoV was 20th+ level. I am sure there will be tons of scrolls high level and mid of not only dispel but greater dispel also throughout the army. Not to mention wizards and clerics who most likely have either or both spells prepared also. It's a fantasy world and campaign. Who would have an army without magical support? It's called an army for a reason. To think that one 9th level spell can take out an entire army is silly. Also to think that an army would only take up 720' diameter encampment is kinda silly.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Berk said:

Even regular dispel magic would work if cqast by a 10th+ level unless the cleric casting StoV was 20th+ level. I am sure there will be tons of scrolls high level and mid of not only dispel but greater dispel also throughout the army. Not to mention wizards and clerics who most likely have either or both spells prepared also. It's a fantasy world and campaign. Who would have an army without magical support? It's called an army for a reason. To think that one 9th level spell can take out an entire army is silly. Also to think that an army would only take up 720' diameter encampment is kinda silly.

I think you and I are visualizing two entirely different styles of army.

Berk

First Post
I think you and I are visualizing two entirely different styles of army.

Maybe we are, but I can't envision any army in a fantasy campaign that has magick in it to not include magickal support.

wolff96

First Post
Celebrim said:
The Dungeon magazine which featured the first published Epic Level module (someone help me out with number and title) had a very extensive discussion of the effects of Storm of Vengence, and if I remember correctly, the effects stacked.

You are correct. The effects did stack in the Dungeon adventure explanation of the spell.

And really, they have to do so.

When you're in a fight where you think 9th level spells are appropriate, do you really think someone is going to concentrate and maintain the spell from rounds 5 through 10 if all they get is some concealment and winds?? Heck, no! They're going to be tossing out all their other high level spells.

Personally, I think it's a bit overpowered, but the spell is ridiculously underpowered for the majority of its duration if the effects do not stack.

Stalker0

Legend
Considering we all know how short high level combats tend to be, you should definately get some serious bang for your buck with those later rounds of SOV.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Berk said:

Maybe we are, but I can't envision any army in a fantasy campaign that has magick in it to not include magickal support.

I agree with magical support, but I don't see most armies having the magical support to deal with 9th level spells with a good deal of success.

I see most armies be controlled by minor lords, reasonably powerful warriors who've established a kingdom etc. With anywhere from a few hundred to 1,000 solders in the army. They'd ahve a decent number of low level spellcaster like 10-50 1-5th level spellcasters, and maybe a 10-12th level magical comander.

Then their are ARMIES, these are vast legions found in a empire, or large country, probably base number around 10,000 with spellcasters the spellcasting commander being probably aorund 15th level.

The Proconsul

First Post
On the other hand, a high-level party probably faces enemies who are high level too, don't they? And if a minor lord with a few hundered soldiers enrages the PCs, it's really his fault...

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Berk - just a point. The spell has a 400+40ft/level range.

At 17th level, that puts it at 1000+ feet of range.

Now - how many armies are going to be capable of detecting a lone individual at 1000+feet? Or forming effective tactics to deal with him when they've just become deafened?

Super_Troll

First Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I agree with Saeviomagy. This spell may not be the best of the 9th level ones when it comes to single/small combat. But it will devestate a large group. I would not allow the effects to stack each round.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A large group that doesn't move? And yes I am sure if your 17th+ level cleric is gonna start casting StoV on a large group like oh say an army I am sure the effects won't get past the 2nd round, 3rd if the cleric is really lucky.

Everyone is assuming the target CAN move. How about using this spell against a town. "Fire and Brimstone" type stuff. See that evil temple of Set...no, that's right...I just smashed it into the ground!

Destil

Explorer
1d4+1 Huge air elementals that stick around for 17+ rounds could reak similar havoc on a large number of low level creatures with their wirlwind attack. How well a 9th level spell can devistate a large number of low level creatures is completly moot. Unless you're talking about how the extistance of such magic will affect the world at large, this is a non-issue, really (and a 4x enlarged cone of cold cast from an extreme height by a flying wizard is expetonaily more devistating to an army of low levels, anyway. Nevermind that it's a standard action to cast, or that as a full round action a sorcerer can do it again and again and again).

Now, clearly the wording of the spell means that the effects 'stack' in the later rounds. "additional effects" means just that: additional effects. For instance: Acid fog "In addition to slowinf creatures down and obscuring sight .... the fog dealas 2d6 points of acid damage" clearly, both take effect. Likewise True Strike "Your next single attack roll gains a +20 insight bonus. Additionaly you are not affected by the miss chance..." Again, each casting of the spell grants both benifits, not just one or the other. Thus Storm of Vengence provides all of the previous effects on every round, otherwise it would be simply listed as "effects" not "additional effects".

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads