• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question about Sudden Recovery Armor

I have a question about this item:

Armor of Sudden Recovery

You shrug off deadly conditions easily in this supple armor.
Level: 28
Price: 2,125,000 gp
Armor: Cloth, Leather
Enhancement: +6 AC

Property: You gain a +1 item bonus to saving throws against ongoing damage.
Power (Daily * Healing): Minor. You can use this power when you’re taking ongoing damage. The ongoing damage ends, and you gain regeneration equal to the amount of the ongoing damage until the end of the encounter.

If you were taking 40 damage from an aura at the start of every turn, this would seem to be ongoing damage, so would the armor's daily work? I mean, it doesn't say damage that a save ends, so I took it to be all ongoing damage.

Thanks.

fba827

Adventurer
i could be wrong, but i don't believe that zone (or aura) damage count as ongoing damage.

Zone (or aura) damage happens every round if you're in the effect - your way to end it is by getting out of the zone/aura.

Ongoing damage, on the other hand, is specifically called "ongoing damage" and it sticks with you (till save ends or whatever other trigger ends it).

and i think both are separate entries in the glossary (in the MM) which would also add support to the idea of them being separate things.

just my two cents anyway.

Okay, thanks for the replies.

Now to further this then....

How do you fight something that has an aura doing -40 damage, and the radius of that aura is 20 squares? (and reach 5, threatening reach 2)

Makes it rather tough for melee people, eh?

Thanks.

Flipguarder

First Post
also all ongoing damage is save ends.

And yes this must be a lvl 30+ solo and thus you should have prepared for whatever you could.

Infiniti2000

First Post
a. Have resistance to the aura damage.
b. Use shift powers to approach the enemy, or have an ally move you into position.
c. Use ranged attacks from >20 squares and spread the heck out.

fba827

Adventurer
a. Have resistance to the aura damage.
b. Use shift powers to approach the enemy, or have an ally move you into position.
c. Use ranged attacks from >20 squares and spread the heck out.

d. find a way to get regeneration ability
e. get your party to max out on heal capability (from a distance) and just keep healing up the one guy who is soaking up the damage
f. get feats like toughness and stuff that increases your healing surge value so that you are not so much avoiding the aura damage but rather your positioned to be able to recover from it with the help of your allies and/or items

(all that of course depends on lots of factors like, what the rest of the party is capable of, what the combat environment is like because twisting corridors could make healing at range difficult without line of effect, etc.)

Prestidigitalis

First Post
d. find a way to get regeneration ability
e. get your party to max out on heal capability (from a distance) and just keep healing up the one guy who is soaking up the damage
f. get feats like toughness and stuff that increases your healing surge value so that you are not so much avoiding the aura damage but rather your positioned to be able to recover from it with the help of your allies and/or items

g. Accept that your character is going to die and just roll up a new one.

(runs)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads