• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question about (Tenser's) Floating Disk

Negative Zero

First Post
can a caster sit on his own floating disk and have it carry him about? is there an official ruling somewhere? or even a comment from the sage? failing either of those (or even in the presence of them) what do you think?

~NegZ

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
It follows about five feet behind unless otherwise directed.

So if you direct it otherwise, there's nothing to stop you climbing on and telling it where to go. As long as it stays within 30 feet of you and three feet off the floor.

-Hyp.

Negative Zero

First Post
see, now that's what i always thought, however, my GM says no. now i agree in the "GM is always right" ideology, but that doesn't mean that he can't be convinced to choose a different "right" idea :D

~NegZ

Steve Jung

Explorer
Interestingly, in 1st edition he couldn't. But you needed to look in the DMG to find that out. The PH description is similar to the 3.5 edition text.
DMG said:
Tenser's Floating Disc: The caster cannot ride on the Disc. The Disc always follows the magic-user.
Did the 3ed developers forget this bit, or did they intentionally leave it out?

dcollins

Explorer
The disk's purpose is that it "follows you about and carries loads for you". The "if not otherwise directed" phrase is there because you need to get closer than 5 ft. in order to load it up, not that you can ride on it -- if you were on it, then it could not "follow you".

If the current designers were asked I'm sure they'd reiterate what the 1st Ed. DMG had to say about it.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
dcollins said:
If you were on it, then it could not "follow you".

... which would be a problem, since it always tries to follow you...

... unless otherwise directed.

If you're sitting on it, it's not following you anywhere. But if you otherwise direct it to, say, go-over-there, where's the problem?

-Hyp.

Dash Dannigan

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
... which would be a problem, since it always tries to follow you...

... unless otherwise directed.

If you're sitting on it, it's not following you anywhere. But if you otherwise direct it to, say, go-over-there, where's the problem?

-Hyp.

A creative use of the spell. I like, and there's nothing wrong with doing this rule-wise. Sounds fine to me. Only problem is having to convince someone that it is a valid and legal use. Goodluck!

dvvega

Explorer
Actually reading the spell description it is clear that it follows you around and cannot do anything but. Taking the spell in complete context ...

1. You create a ... plane of force ... follows you around and carries loads.

2. Unless directed otherwise ... maintains 5 ft space.

So yes you could direct it to be closer to you and you could sit on it.

However it will not move unless you move. You can not command it to move except to reduce the distance between you and it. There is no text in the spell that says "you may command the disc to move anywhere you wish". The only text that references movement is "unless otherwise directed it will maintain an interval of 5ft." This is a modification on the interval of travel not a global "you can move the disc at will".

The disc follows you when you move, nothing more. Thus you could certainly sit on it, but you cannot then command it to move since it FOLLOWS.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
dvvega said:
Thus you could certainly sit on it, but you cannot then command it to move since it FOLLOWS.

Outboard motor principle.

Dangle your feet over the side, and order the disk to make an interval of 5 feet.

The easiest direction to do that is directly away from your feet... but since you move with the disk, it has to keep trying to make that interval... so it keeps going.

To steer, stick your feet over a different edge...

-Hyp.

dvvega

Explorer
Hyp,

I think you are taking things in completely the wrong way to answer the initial simple question.

In addition your outboard motor principle is a little misguided.

Why? Because it keeps the distance beteween it and you, not between your feet and you, your arms, your head, or anything else. It keeps it between you and itself, no body part specified.

The spell description doesn't allow you to micro-manage which part of your body it is away from, just your position.

Remove ads