• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question about the Mnemonic Staff

Paul Strack

First Post
The daily power of the Mnemonic Staff seems problematic:

Power (Daily): Minor Action. Swap a power you’ve prepared for another power in your spellbook of equal or lower level. Each power must also be of equal or lower level than the level of the staff.

As written, it seems like you can swap utility powers for daily attack powers. Getting 2 daily attacks for a level 2 magic item is really good.

Does anyone know of any errata on this item?

James McMurray

First Post
You get two attacks, but lose your utility. Sounds awefully powerful until the attack that kills you could have been avoided with Shield, or you die from dragon breath because you swapped out Resistance.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Veteran's armor is also a second level item, and it gives "Power (Daily): Free action. Spend an action point. You do not gain the normal extra action. Instead, you regain the use of one expended daily power."

Is the staff that different in power level?

Stogoe

First Post
I read the _intent_ as you must swap for a power of the same type. Daily attack or utility. But that's me.

Mark
Me too. Indeed, my non-loophole-seeking mind didn't even consider swapping dailies for utilities. "What do the rules specifically say you are Allowed to do?", not "What don't the rules Forbid me to do?"

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
Me too. Indeed, my non-loophole-seeking mind didn't even consider swapping dailies for utilities. "What do the rules specifically say you are Allowed to do?", not "What don't the rules Forbid me to do?"

I think the problem is due to the fact that many times the books state "daily power" when what they actually meant was "daily attack power." A little clarification never hurts, especially since utilities are a kind of weird group of powers that can be at-will, encounter or daily. Until/unless errata is issued to clarify these things, DM's are going to just have to make their best judgment as to what was intended in each case. In the case of the Mnemonic staff, I think it was intended to only allow swapping of powers of the same type. That said, I doubt it's going to break the game if a player is allowed to swap one attack spell for a utility spell each day. After all, that's what wizards were able to do for the past 3 decades. ;)

Last edited:

Starfox

Hero
Depending on how you read the staff, you could actually change a daily attack into an encounter attack, which is probably way too good.

I say you change into the same kind of power (utility, daily attack, encounter attack).

Still very string to change an encounter utility power you've already used a few times into a daily one. Not sure if that should be allowed.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads