• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Question about the Oracle's "Clobbering Strike"

Okay, trip is normally a melee attack and your target has to be adjacent unless you have a reach weapon, correct?

So how does this work with the Oracle's "Clobbering Strike"?

"Clobbering Strike (Ex): Whenever you score a critical hit against an opponent with a spell that requires an attack roll, you may immediately attempt to trip your opponent as a swift action. You do not provoke an attack of opportunity as normal for this trip attempt. You cannot be tripped in return when using this ability."

I see that it does not provoke, and can not be tripped in return, but do you still have to be adjacent to your target or is that taken care of since it says "with a spell"?

Thanks.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
It is taken care of with the spell whether the spell ask you to make a range touch attack, a touch attack, a range attack or a melee attack.

Kramodlog

Yeah, but how many range touch spells that do damage does a oracle get? And range touch spells only crit on a 20.

Kramodlog

There's always Holy Ice, although they're regular ranged rather than ranged touch. There's still a good chance of rolling a crit in there, somewhere.

Range attack, well any spell that demandes an attack, would work with the ability. It is not an obligation for it to be range touch.

Crit for spells are 20. So possible, but with confirmation... The oracle ability is a nice bonus when it happens, but it isn't broken. Not sure it is worth taking. Unless some CharOp person managed to make a build around it. Then it is totally teh ebil!

Crit for spells are 20. So possible, but with confirmation... The oracle ability is a nice bonus when it happens, but it isn't broken. Not sure it is worth taking. Unless some CharOp person managed to make a build around it. Then it is totally teh ebil!
The nice thing about Holy Ice is that they're explicitly javelins, and you are explicitly attacking with them. I can't find any reason why they wouldn't benefit from something like Improved Critical. (Obviously, you also want a bard song or sneak attack or something to increase the per-attack damage, when you're making 15 attacks in a round.)

Ramaster

Adventurer
You can also take Improved Critical (Spells or Rays or whatever), mind you.

Either way, this is not a very good tactic; it even eats up your swift action.!

I agree with the others, you don't have to be adjacent to your target. But, since the Oracle has the 3/4 BAB, is a bit feat-starved and needs to have a high charisma, your CMB is not going to be competitive enough.

You also need to get a 20 on your attack roll AND confirm the critical AND have your swift action available AND succeed on your CMB check... See where I'm going? This is a trap, and I can't figure out any way to abuse it.

Compare it to healing as a swift action, getting proficiency with all martial weapons, adding your CHA instead of DEX to AC (other things that revelations allow you to do).

Starfox

Hero
Wand of Holy Ice cl 15 + rogue 7 (4d6 sneak attack) = 292 average damage if all attacks hit. It requires a flat-footed target, but it is a very nice opener for a rogue.

Remove ads