• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question for Piratecat...

BOAZ

First Post
Hi there,

I'm reading the very awesome story hour 'Defenders of Daybreak' http://www.piratecat.org/spira/welcome.htm written by piratecat. I was hoping the author/DM could answer a little question I had while reading the campaign: What was the reason (quest) that made the 'defenders' descend to the underdark to find the 'White Kingdom'? Thanks!

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I had wanted to run the adventure ever since Wolfgang Baur published it back in an early Dungeon. The question, though, was how to convince the PCs that they'd need to go on it? Two things finally got them moving.

One was the eruption of ghouls in the tiny town of Hundle's Crossing, where the PCs fought the necropede and a ghoulish archer almost killed one of the paladin's with a single bone arrow.

The other was learning that Saint Aleax was actually a ghoulish ploy, raised from the dead to divide and distract all the undead-hunters so that the ghouls would have more time. That struck very close to home, and made sure that the PCs wanted to go kick some undead butt.

It's great of you to ask! Any other questions?

BOAZ

First Post
Thanks for the quick answer Piratecat! I'm loving the adventures surrounding the 'Defenders of Daybreak', especially the 'White Kingdom' story-arc; very cool!

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
diaglo said:
rats. i was hoping this was a Q&A for Of Sound Mind 2.
We may have to travel to Morpheus' Dream Library of Books that Never Were to get that one. Unless enough of us kidnap him at GenCon, provide him with food and drink and a competent clone to take his place at work, and encourage him to write... :)

</not a threat>

Richards

Legend
Same here with thinking this was going to be about Of Sound Mind II. I know Piratecat's given his reasons for not going forth with Of Sound Mind II as he had originally intended, but any chance of him publishing another adventure of any kind? His original still remains one of my all-time favorite low-level adventures.

Johnathan

Tortoise

First Post
Osm 2

Let me chime in with a big hell yeah if there's ever an OSM 2, or any other adventure from Kevin, I'll buy it.

My players loved OSM and I had an absolute blast running it.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Damn it, people! You're making me feel all warm and tingly inside, and I can't tell whether that's joy or the strep throat I'm trying to get over.

Richards, coming from the guy who wrote so many Dragon articles that I loved, that's high praise indeed.

I envy people like Mearls who can crank out 8000 words in a day. Writing for me is hard, doubly so when it isn't a "story." But it's tremendously rewarding knowing that people enjoyed it so much. That's just plain cool.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Eridanis said:
Unless enough of us kidnap him at GenCon, provide him with food and drink and a competent clone to take his place at work, and encourage him to write... :)

I'm in!

I probably should've IM'd you that, huh?

BOAZ

First Post
Let's clone piratecat many times and have *them* write a whole campaign path! Seriously, piratecat, just quit your day job and write story hours; stop being so selfish! :lol:

Remove ads