• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question from a newb DM

killbydeath

First Post
Hi

I'm new to DMing and I was wondering what magic item could my player buy in the item shop. My player are new to the game either. I was playing as a player with other people and the DM did some kind of random choosing item. I search the DM guide and the PHB and I didn't find anything I was searching for that question. I have one more question, my players are the kind of player that want to be involve into a bar fight, how am I suppose to do the bar fight??

Thank You

Praesul

First Post
Here's a random magic item generator which will build a shop inventory for you:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/4e-fan-creations-house-rules/245046-magik-shope-ver-1-2-generator.html

As far as a bar fight goes, that could be tough because most civilians are probably going to be minions, so your players would have a real easy go of it. Of course, you could always just toss some low level human stats (or whatever race) for fight participants. At that point, just run it like a normal combat. If you wanted to level the playing field, maybe the city has some weapon and spell restrictions that will really limit which powers the players can use so the minion combatants aren't just blown out of the water.

Either way, I would run the fight so that the players aren't outright killing random citizens. Assume that anyone dropped in the fight is just incapacitated or unconscious. I suppose you could let stuff die if you want, I just think a non-lethal fight will help the players maintain a better standing in the city... assuming that's something you concern yourself with in the campaign.

James McMurray

First Post
Let the players decide whether they kill the people or not. The 4e rule is that you decide when the last blow is struck whether to knock them out or not. If they choose to kill them and any witnesses are left, you've got the start of your campaign. :)

A "magic" shop is more likely to be a guy with the Enchant Magic Item ritual and the Disenchant Magic Item ritual. Probably Brew Potion as well. Instead of having things on a shelf he takes custom orders and fills them in a few hours. Be sure to charge extra though, since he needs to make a profit. At 4th level one or more PCs should have Enchant Item themselves, so the shop can become a thing of the past.

Praesul

First Post
Let the players decide whether they kill the people or not. The 4e rule is that you decide when the last blow is struck whether to knock them out or not. If they choose to kill them and any witnesses are left, you've got the start of your campaign. :)

Good point. I guess I should have just raised the concern of killing civilians instead of trying to impose doctrine on the issue.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
Bar Fights:
1) Remind your players that using a combat weapon, or most spells, in town is Criminal Assault, and that they will be charged and prosecuted for it.
2) Remind your players that killing people is usually seen as Murder, and that they will be charged and prosecuted for it.
3) Use whichever option your players will like more.

Option 1: High Cinema
- The PCs will win the barfight.
A) Have them each roll two d20 rolls to see how well they do as individuals.
B) Work with them to describe the fight in an entertaining way that leaves them victorious at the end.

Option 2: Gritty and Tactical
- The PCs could (theoretically) lose the fight and be knocked out.
A) Familiarize yourself with the Improvised Weapons table (one-handed, unarmed, two-handed, and thrown). This way you can help your players understand them and use them when they want to.
B) Have a ready stack of "Bar Fighters" handy. Most of them should be minions of about the PCs level, with a one or two others as unarmed monsters of about the PCs level. This gives them a lot of people they can simply plow through, with a few that they are actually threatened by.
C) Depending upon the town and bar, decide how many of the patrons are minions and how many are non-minions.
D) Run as a normal combat, only everyone is unarmed (no weapon bonus to the attacks), and people get knocked out.
E) Using powers with the weapon Unarmed is okay. Some magic spells (single targets, non-summoning, stuff that you wouldn't get upset about if someone pulled it on you in a 'friendly' bar fight) are okay but nothing that might destroy the bar, imperiel souls, or leave a nasty scar. Sleep good-, Acid Arrow bad- type stuff.

Good Luck!

James McMurray

First Post
Another option for a bar fight is given in Rescue at Rivenroar. The town gets attacked and the bar the PCs are in is assaulted by 12 golblinoids, some of whom set the bar on fire. It sets the scene for the entire adventure.

nittanytbone

First Post
The DMG discusses purchase of magic items on page 155, "the Magic Item Economy." Generally there is a markup of 10-40%. If you want to encourage use of merchants over Enchant Magic Item do-it-yourselfers, then the alternate rule allows for items to sometimes be cheaper.

DracoSuave

First Post
Hi

I'm new to DMing and I was wondering what magic item could my player buy in the item shop. My player are new to the game either. I was playing as a player with other people and the DM did some kind of random choosing item. I search the DM guide and the PHB and I didn't find anything I was searching for that question. I have one more question, my players are the kind of player that want to be involve into a bar fight, how am I suppose to do the bar fight??

Thank You

Here's something that might help answer the question better. In previous editions you were by default supposed to roll random items as treasure, but in 4e, you're actually supposed to consider the items that you think the players would appreciate and would make your game more enjoyable. Those items are then seeded into ten 'parcels' and distributed amongst the encounters they complete over the course of a level. Essentially you plan out what they will receive, and then hand it to the as opportunity arises.

James McMurray

First Post
The parcels for 5 PCs give 4 items and enough money to buy or make a 5th, so even if you use parcels and give everyone exactly what they want you still need to figure out how they're buying items until they can make them.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads