• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Question: Fukimi-Bari (mouth darts)

sigil_of_light

First Post
I stumbled across those nifty little fellows and I was wondering few things about them(playing 3.5 rules):

a) How many can i hold in my mouth at one time?
b) How long does it take to "reload" them?
c) Do I apply poison/enhancements 1 by 1 or as an ammunition (50 pcs)?
d) How does sneak attack work with them(first one, all)?

Any other information you might have would be appreciated. :)

Arkhandus

First Post
a) However many the DM considers reasonable. They're similar to sewing needles in size, and the rules don't specify how many you can keep in your mouth.
b) Either a move action per mouth dart, or a move action per 3 mouth darts, or a free action per mouth dart, depending on the DM's interpretation. I don't know if they're listed as ammunition in 3.5, but they weren't in 3.0 (neither were shuriken in 3.0, though). You can spit 3 mouth darts at a single target with each attack, so I would assume it's reasonable to expect 'loading' 3 into mouth with each move action.....
c) One-by-one, as far as I can tell.
d) Although you can launch 3 mouth darts as a single attack, it's still just a single attack with a single attack roll (and those 3 have to share the same target anyway), so you would only apply Sneak Attack dice to the first dart in the salvo.

Xandegar

Explorer
There were listed in the 3.5E book Arms & Equipment Guide and listed quite clearly an answer to a number of the above questions, shame no one has ever replied with this info.
"
These slim, almost needle-like metal darts are concealed in the mouth, then spit at the target.

Their effective range is extremely short, and they deal little damage, but they are highly useful when taking an opponent by surprise. You can fire up to three Fukimi-bari per attack (all at the same target).
Do not apply your Strength modifier to damage with Fukimi-bari. They are too small to carry the extra force that a strong character usually imparts to a thrown weapon. The cost and weight are for a single Fukimi-bari.

Remove ads