• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question on a dragon's crush attack - can it do this?

zendruid

First Post
By your quote from the Draconomicon they all roll individually against his one roll. So no the PC's are effectively stuck. I'd guess a natural 20 may still let them out. Not sure about natural 20's on grapples it's never been an issue for me since I've been playing 3.x. Then again I have never been crushed by a dragon or engaged in a grapple with something that has a +58 grapple mod.

NewJeffCT

First Post
By your quote from the Draconomicon they all roll individually against his one roll. So no the PC's are effectively stuck. I'd guess a natural 20 may still let them out. Not sure about natural 20's on grapples it's never been an issue for me since I've been playing 3.x. Then again I have never been crushed by a dragon or engaged in a grapple with something that has a +58 grapple mod.

well, would have been interesting to see all 3 do it, just to give them a chance.

Just last session, I had a few ogre bruisers (Ogres with 5 levels of barbarian) as minions of the bad guys to grapple spellcasters & the like, and the party cleric managed to power her way out of a grapple by rolling a natural 20 vs my roll of a 3 or a 4.

Amazing Mumford

First Post
No, I don't believe the "natural 20" / "natural 1" rules apply to a grapple-- it could be house-ruled though, I guess-- but otherwise it's gonna VERY HARD to escape from underneath a dragon who has a +58 to his grapple check. As well it should be! Your PC would need a +40 grapple check at least and have to roll a 20 when the dragon rolls a 1.

Again though, against that large of a party, it could be a good idea for the dragon if he can afford to take the -20-- that would give the dragon a +38, which still would be very hard to overcome. The dragon wins this check with it's first attack, then can dole out it's others against whoever it wants-- even using it's natural attacks to hasten the death of those crushed underneath it. Not a good day for those folks.

There are a few magical ways to escape though, I believe dimension door would be an option, and if I were a cleric you can bet I'd have a word of recall memorized. Also, there are magic items, one in particular I believe from the MIC called the Anklet of Translocation, I think... Also, don't discount freedom of movement or the Travel domain...

frankthedm

First Post
Just last session, I had a few ogre bruisers (Ogres with 5 levels of barbarian) as minions of the bad guys to grapple spellcasters & the like, and the party cleric managed to power her way out of a grapple by rolling a natural 20 vs my roll of a 3 or a 4.
monster manual III has a "skullcrusher ogre" that starts with improved grapple as a bonus feat. Unpleasant foes that should work nicely for grab-ass shutdown tactics

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads