Question on alignment

Li Shenron

Legend
Can a character be considered Lawful Good and follow a master who is Chaotic Neutral?

For example, the character I’m developing grows up an urchin, and is rescued from a very bad life by a “master” who is very much focused on increasing his own wealth, but who recognizes that having loyal servants is to his best interest. So he treats the character well, trains him, and makes rules for him to follow. Not any rules that have to do with society or a nation, but the Master’s own rules, meant to focus on increasing the Master’s profit and wealth, and the rest of the world can go jump in a lake.

If the Character decides to continue following this Master, and adheres strictly to those rules, even though he would routinely break the Laws of any land he may be in while he is following his Master’s Orders, would he be considered Lawful?

Yes.

Hint: you can't be lawful to everything and everyone, because laws are different in different places and for different people, otherwise nobody is lawful. It depends what the PC considers to be the "law" of reference. Perhaps for this PC the concept of loyalty towards someone who saved his life is stronger than the idea of never breaking the official law of countries (what if said countries are corrupt and the laws are just codified privileges of despots in power?).

That doesn't mean the PC has to be considered lawful, of course.

Satyrn

First Post
Sure. Lots of people have all kinds of relationships (working, romantic, familial) with folks who have very different values and ethoi.

It can be a relationship colored by conflict, passion, or even cool, dispassionate consideration.

By way of example I employ a small group of people. We all have varied political, religious, philosophical, romantic, ideas, values, and experiences. But we work together quite well.

Or take this board. I disagree with a LOT of people on how best to play this imaginary game of “elf-time with dice.” Some feel very strongly that it should be “dice-time with elves.” But I still have productive discussions with, and take advice from, some of the very people with whom I most often clash.

So can it work? Sure.

That's "dwarf-time with dice" thankyouverymuch.

jasper

Rotten DM
First put the car on the jack. Raise the car off the ground about six inches. Roll down the driver side window. Straight the wheel. Yell at Satyrn to see if the front wheels are straight. Turn wheel left or right as need until front wheels are straight. Take cover of wheel. Loosen the nut. (Not me or Satyrn). Move wheel unit is the correct position. This should complete your front end alignment.

Satyrn

First Post
First put the car on the jack. Raise the car off the ground about six inches. Roll down the driver side window. Straight the wheel. Yell at Satyrn to see if the front wheels are straight. Turn wheel left or right as need until front wheels are straight. Take cover of wheel. Loosen the nut. (Not me or Satyrn). Move wheel unit is the correct position. This should complete your front end alignment.

This is terribe advice. I'm chaotic neutral, which means I have to say it's straight when it's not.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
One of the 3e DMGs had a section on 'alternative Codes of Conduct', including Samurai, Omerta (the Mafia's "silence"), and a Barbarian's code entitled "Don't Tread On Me". If you can find them, they might help you describe more clearly what your CN Master's code of conduct IS.

Remove ads