• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question on SEE spell list

Khaalis

Adventurer
Ok, I'm getting confused on some of these spell lists structures. I've been trying to build thematic Spell Lists for traditions and came upon a stumbling block.

At the moment this is the SEE spell list. On the chart and the sample spells, it show that the SEE spell list is the only spell list with no associated source/target to make the spell list. ie: Sample spell show just "SEE V".

However, in the spell description it still states:
* "Affects: See spells affect Virtues, Creatures and Elements".

Additionally, there are various references to specified SEE spell lists,such as:
* REMOTE VIEWING: "See [Creature], See [Element], or See Space"
* SPECIAL VISION: "You can also use a See spell to enhance your vision by using the LIGHT element (See Light)."
* DIVINATIONs: Predict the future = See Time; "get outerplanar sources to answer your questions ([See] Good, Evil)"; "the source of the information does not matter, although you must attach a source as an effect, whether that is the local plants (See Plant), animals (See Beast), a pool of water (See Water) or a flickering flame (See Fire), etc."

So... is my understanding correct here?
A caster can take just the SEE spell list and get basic 'SEE' cantrip (basically a magical spy-glass) but nothing else unless they also take for instance the 'SEE PERSON' spell list so they can Scry on people, and then something like 'SEE GOOD ' if they want to be able to use an Augury-like spell? If you Don't have to take individual spell lists, how do you add the Source like Person, Space, Time, etc.?

Sorry if its a dumb question, but this one just isn't sinking in.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The text is correct, not the chart (which chart, BTW?) You take See Person to scry on a person, for example, or See Plant to ask a tree where the bandit went. The cantrip, I must admit, I'm not overly fond of and it may change. The sample spell is probably just a legacy reference to the old Divination or Scry spell lists.

Khaalis

Adventurer
Thanks for the clarification. That does help.

As for charts:
* Actions chart on p115 still shows "Applicable Effects" as "-".

The other table has apparently been fixed. I must have been referencing an old version of the Grand Unified Spell List Matrix table from p125.

Remove ads