• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question on wild shape + momf

Cactot

First Post
Say i was a lvl 10 druid, and i wanted to take a few levels of MOMF, when would i be able to use a huge form? (MOMF gets a size increase at lvl 2 and 6, druid gets them at 8 and 15)

Alternatively, if a lvl 5 druid took momf, then stayed with it till CL7 then went back to druid (able to use large size) when would he be able to use huge? at CL10 (druid 8 (one size increase), momf 2 (able to take a large form)) or would he have to wait till druid level 15 (CL 17) to use huge?

Either way, it seems like they should stack, as it wouldnt make sense for identical advancements would not stack, plus it states plainly in the errata that MOMF adds to Hit die advancement for the druid wildshape (so size progression would make sense too).

Infiniti2000

First Post
Cactot said:
Say i was a lvl 10 druid, and i wanted to take a few levels of MOMF, when would i be able to use a huge form? (MOMF gets a size increase at lvl 2 and 6, druid gets them at 8 and 15)
No. The Improved Wild Shape ability does not state that your druid levels stack with your Master of Many Form levels (for anyone else wondering what MOMF meant). Therefore, it doesn't.

Cactot said:
Either way, it seems like they should stack, as it wouldnt make sense for identical advancements would not stack, plus it states plainly in the errata that MOMF adds to Hit die advancement for the druid wildshape (so size progression would make sense too).
They are not identical advancements unless you go back to levels in druid. The MoMF advancement parallels closely with the standard druid wild shape advancement, except it's a little quicker and offers more choices (at the loss of additional spellcasting ability).

Cactot

First Post
a great combo that i havent seen posted anywhere

deepwarden + MOMF (for overkill + warshaper)

wildshape into any giant or troll (say a war troll)

they are humanoid so your equip will strech to fit them, plus they have 27 base con. (+8 con bonus) + 11 nat armor, so you effectively get 19 + 10 base + armor (say +2 ironwood breastplate for 7) + con mod spells/items (probably +4 con, so +2ac) + ring of protection +2, so in all likelyhood a lvl 10 with this combo would have ~40ac, moreso if you cast barkskin. Not too shabby.

With the right gear/spells at lvl 15 (assuming you advance your troll to huge)
nat armor - 13
barkskin - 4
ring of protection - 4
con bonus spell/amulet - 3
creature natural con - 10
if you have warshaper lvl 2 (from +4 con) - 2
ironwood full plate +3 - 12
+48 ac
so a total of +58ac without trying particularly hard.

pretty cool, not terribly difficult either. In more reasonable groups this could provide a good bonus without being broken, i imagine they will errata this and end up breaking more things. Would actually be hugely useful in non-momf shapeshifting builds. Makes it more feasable for people to actually get some use out of the animal combat forms.

Cactot

First Post
The way i read it, "it functions like the special form special ability" (from the MM) and after looking it up forgot that last paragraph. (where it says that they meld)

though still, imo that errata was written assuming druids will only be changing into non humanoid, and the humaniod forms should have the equip change sizes (from the MM errata.)

Never really thought about it before, but the way they write rules in this game is a friggin mess, refrencing this and that, errataing everything. They really need to start just outlining the rules plainly instead of saying "it works like this, except....." becuase then you get errata changes 3 levels deep that can be interperted all sorts of ways.

boolean

Explorer
Cactot said:
a great combo that i havent seen posted anywhere

deepwarden + MOMF (for overkill + warshaper)

wildshape into any giant or troll (say a war troll)

they are humanoid so your equip will strech to fit them, plus they have 27 base con. (+8 con bonus) + 11 nat armor, so you effectively get 19 + 10 base + armor (say +2 ironwood breastplate for 7) + con mod spells/items (probably +4 con, so +2ac) + ring of protection +2, so in all likelyhood a lvl 10 with this combo would have ~40ac, moreso if you cast barkskin. Not too shabby.

With the right gear/spells at lvl 15 (assuming you advance your troll to huge)
nat armor - 13
barkskin - 4
ring of protection - 4
con bonus spell/amulet - 3
creature natural con - 10
if you have warshaper lvl 2 (from +4 con) - 2
ironwood full plate +3 - 12
+48 ac
so a total of +58ac without trying particularly hard.

pretty cool, not terribly difficult either. In more reasonable groups this could provide a good bonus without being broken, i imagine they will errata this and end up breaking more things. Would actually be hugely useful in non-momf shapeshifting builds. Makes it more feasable for people to actually get some use out of the animal combat forms.

It depends on wheter you follow the rules in Complete Warrior about losing Prestige Class abilities when you lose the prerequisites.

One of the prerequisites for Deepwarden is Race: Dwarf. If you polymorph or wild shape into a troll, you're not a dwarf any more. So you no longer satisfy the prereq for Deepwarden. So you lose the Deepwarden class abilities. (You might be able to get around this limit using the Stoneblessed PrC, but that's three less levels of MoMF or whatever.)

Corsair

First Post
boolean said:
It depends on wheter you follow the rules in Complete Warrior about losing Prestige Class abilities when you lose the prerequisites.

One of the prerequisites for Deepwarden is Race: Dwarf. If you polymorph or wild shape into a troll, you're not a dwarf any more. So you no longer satisfy the prereq for Deepwarden. So you lose the Deepwarden class abilities. (You might be able to get around this limit using the Stoneblessed PrC, but that's three less levels of MoMF or whatever.)

By that argument a human should lose his bonus feat when he polymorphs. I would contend that he is still a dwarf... just a dwarf that is temporarily polymorphed.

Remove ads