• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question (Potential Breaking Combo)

That makes sense certainly, but is it actually the case?

RAI seems to be that Bigby's Icy Grasp would activate Lasting Frost, but using this rule would invalidate that.
It would for the hit line, but there is nothing to suggest that you would continue to add it to the sustained damage.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
RAI seems to be that Bigby's Icy Grasp would activate Lasting Frost, but using this rule would invalidate that.

When you use the Bigby's Icy Grasp spell, you make an attack roll against a target. If you hit, they take damage, and the hand grabs. Since you hit with a Cold power, Lasting Frost is activated.

If you take a minor action to Sustain the power, they take more damage. You haven't hit with a Cold power (that was last round), so the feat is not activated again.

If you take a standard action to release the grabbed creature and attack another target with the hand, and hit, you've hit with a Cold power, so Lasting Frost is activated again.

No attack roll, no hit.

hong said:
No, not really. Trick Strike involves some element of martial skill on the part of the rogue, implying that you have to be personally involved in the inflicting of damage for it to kick in.

If the multiclass cleric took Spiritual Weapon instead of Blade Barrier, Trick Strike would trigger each time you sustained it and the attack hit. You don't need to be personally using a dagger to trigger, you just need to hit the target, and the Wisdom vs AC attack of your Spiritual Weapon qualifies.

-Hyp.

Torchlyte

First Post

Very well, but that has a long list of consequences. I thought about compiling a list, but I'd rather not go through all that work. :p

Edit.

In any case, a 5-square Positioning Strike after Blade Barrier would give 15d6 automatic damage and an additional 3d6+5 at the start of their turn. Ouch?

Last edited:

Ganadai

First Post
Does a creature take damage from blade barrier for each space it moves into, or only once when it enters the blade barrier?

(i.e. If you have a 5' wide hall way, cast blade barrier down it, and used a power to push a creature through it, would it take 3d6 + Wisdom modifier damage once, or up to 5 times?)

Does a creature take damage from blade barrier for each space it moves into, or only once when it enters the blade barrier?

(i.e. If you have a 5' wide hall way, cast blade barrier down it, and used a power to push a creature through it, would it take 3d6 + Wisdom modifier damage once, or up to 5 times?)

From the compendium:
If a creature enters the barrier’s space or starts its turn there

So I would think that its per space.

Torchlyte

First Post
Automatic damage doesn't benefit from:
(Feats)
-Fiery Rebuke
-Lasting Frost
-Psychic Lock
(Many Implement powers and properties)
-like Symbol of Battle
-Symbol of Hope would only be usable against "(save ends)" conditions that appear under the "Hit:" category
-etc.

There's a quick start.

Remove ads