• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question (Potential Breaking Combo)

Automatic damage doesn't benefit from:
(Feats)
-Fiery Rebuke
-Lasting Frost
-Psychic Lock
(Many Implement powers and properties)
-like Symbol of Battle
-Symbol of Hope would only be usable against "(save ends)" conditions that appear under the "Hit:" category
-etc.

There's a quick start.

And why is it an issue that they arent completely broken and overpowered? Thats a list of feats and powers, not consequences. They arent going to be completely broken and overpowered, thats probably number one on the list of consequences, you can have that one for free. But what else?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
So I would think that its per space.

Don't mix up space and square. A Large creature has a space; it occupies four squares.

If you are not in a square the Barrier occupies, and you move into a square the Barrier occupies, you have entered its space, and you take damage. If you then move into another square the Barrier occupies, you aren't entering its space, because you were already in its space. If you move out and back in, though, you're entering again, and you take damage.

So if you have a Slide 3 power and someone is adjacent to the Barrier, you can slide them in (damage), out, and back in (damage). But you can't slide them in (damage), further in (more damage) and yet further in (more damage), because in this case they've only entered the Barrier's space once.

-Hyp.

Torchlyte

First Post
And why is it an issue that they arent completely broken and overpowered? Thats a list of feats and powers, not consequences. They arent going to be completely broken and overpowered, thats probably number one on the list of consequences, you can have that one for free. But what else?

I didn't say the consequences were negative, simply that they sometimes appear counter-intuitive and may be difficult to deal with in the middle of a game. The Symbol of Hope limitation is a good example of something that is true by raw but annoying to deal with.

Don't mix up space and square. A Large creature has a space; it occupies four squares.

If you are not in a square the Barrier occupies, and you move into a square the Barrier occupies, you have entered its space, and you take damage. If you then move into another square the Barrier occupies, you aren't entering its space, because you were already in its space. If you move out and back in, though, you're entering again, and you take damage.

So if you have a Slide 3 power and someone is adjacent to the Barrier, you can slide them in (damage), out, and back in (damage). But you can't slide them in (damage), further in (more damage) and yet further in (more damage), because in this case they've only entered the Barrier's space once.

-Hyp.
Good point, I never thought of it like that.

Torchlyte

First Post

-Hyp.

"The spaces occupied by the blade barrier are difficult terrain."

Sounds like each square is considered a space.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
(Feats)
-Fiery Rebuke
-Lasting Frost
-Psychic Lock
-like Symbol of Battle
-Symbol of Hope would only be usable against "(save ends)" conditions that appear under the "Hit:" category
-etc.

All looks correct to me.

Wall of Ice isn't going to benefit from Lasting Frost. Bigby's Icy Grasp will, but only on the rounds you attack with it.

Flame Strike benefits from the Symbol of Battle; Blade Barrier doesn't.

In any case, a 5-square Positioning Strike after Blade Barrier would give 15d6 automatic damage and an additional 3d6+5 at the start of their turn. Ouch?

9d6 damage. In (3d6), out, in (3d6), out, in (3d6).

-Hyp.

Torchlyte

First Post
9d6 damage. In (3d6), out, in (3d6), out, in (3d6).

-Hyp.

See above, where I dispute your space argument.

Edit.

I think, actually, 'space' here refers to the square at ground level and the square above it. This would mean that there are five spaces.

Last edited:

FadedC

First Post
(Feats)
-Fiery Rebuke
-Lasting Frost
-Psychic Lock
-like Symbol of Battle
-etc.

There's a quick start.

Yep I believe that is all correct. Not sure about the damage from multiple blade barrier spaces though. It says you take damage if you enter the space of the blade barrier, but I'd think that would imply just once rather then once per square. It would be different if it said you took damage if you moved into a square containing a blade barrier. You are only ever entering it once (though I suppose you could slide your target in an out of it).

Ganadai

First Post

-Hyp.

I was thinking that might be the case, and I totally agree, but I submitted the question to customer service just in case.

Remove ads