• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question (Potential Breaking Combo)

Torchlyte

First Post
In any case, I might contend that Wall of Fire works the same way. Entering a space is the key, not leaving a space.

Edit.

Regardless of the final decision, it's notable that an enter-leave-enter-leave-enter situation could be used every encounter with a Trick Strike & Cloud of Daggers combo. It's not as overwhelming, but at least you can do it at level 1. :)

Last edited:

FadedC

First Post
In any case, I might contend that Wall of Fire works the same way. Entering a space is the key, not leaving a space.

Actually the way wall of fire works cannot remotely be questioned. It's a conjuration so it takes up a certain space, just like creatures do. It has an effect when you enter it's space. Unlike blade barrier there are no wierd wordings that could possibly indicate anything else. It very specifically uses the word squares when it talks about the difficultly of moving around inside it rather then spaces.

Last edited:

Torchlyte

First Post
You can provoke an OA from moving from one adjacent square to another adjacent square.

Nowhere does it say that moving into a space requires that you be out of that space. I'm not saying it's unreasonable, but it's clearly not there.

FadedC

First Post
You can provoke an OA from moving from one adjacent square to another adjacent square.

Nowhere does it say that moving into a space requires that you be out of that space. I'm not saying it's unreasonable, but it's clearly not there.

It uses the word "entering". You are not entering a space if you already in that space. That's not part of the rules, it's part of the english language. If you are already in a house, walking around that house is not entering it.

Ganadai

First Post
Response from customer service:

QUESTION:
Does a creature take damage from blade barrier for each space it moves into, or only once when it enters the blade barrier?

(i.e. If you have a 5' wide hall way, cast blade barrier down it, and used a power to push a creature through it, would it take 3d6 + Wisdom modifier damage once, or up to 5 times?)

RESPONSE:
A creature would take damage for each space they move into within the Blade Barrier. In your example, they could take damage up to 5 times. Walking through a Blade Barrier is not good for your health.:) - Marc

DogBackward

First Post
While I agree (and CS be damned, those guys never seem to know what's what) that you won't take multiple sets of damage when being slid through a Blade Barrier, based on the use of "Space" instead of "Square", keep in mind that forced movement has limitations based on difficult terrain, which Blade Barrier is. I don't have my books with me, but my vague recollection is that you can't end forced movement in difficult terrain, and you can only forcibly move someone through difficult terrain if you have enough forced movement to push them all the way through.

My internet at home, where my books are, is temporarily down, so I can't get to the info on my own right now, so somebody might wanna check on that. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's close to what I read. If it is, that severely limits the supposed power of this "trick".

Bronz

First Post
While I agree (and CS be damned, those guys never seem to know what's what) that you won't take multiple sets of damage when being slid through a Blade Barrier, based on the use of "Space" instead of "Square", keep in mind that forced movement has limitations based on difficult terrain, which Blade Barrier is. I don't have my books with me, but my vague recollection is that you can't end forced movement in difficult terrain, and you can only forcibly move someone through difficult terrain if you have enough forced movement to push them all the way through.

I believe forced movement ignores difficult terrain. But then again Im at work without my books so can't verify that either.

And for the record I am siding with Hyp on this one. Every other instance mentions squares not spaces. I can see both sides of the argument though.

Ganadai

First Post
I believe forced movement ignores difficult terrain. But then again Im at work without my books so can't verify that either.

And for the record I am siding with Hyp on this one. Every other instance mentions squares not spaces. I can see both sides of the argument though.

Forced movement does ignore difficult terrain.

From a logical stand point I agree with customer service, but for the sake of game balance I agree with Hyp. However, agreeing with hyp means that an elf could spend two move actions to run 18 squares in a blade barrier and still only take 3d6 + Wis Mod damage. I'm not sure why someone would want to, but I don't think that is balanced either.

Remove ads