• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Question regarding potential revised edition of core rulebooks

Thieran

First Post
(Sorry if this has been asked before - I could not find any info on this, though.)

I am finally going to buy the 5E core rulebooks, and I am hesitating slightly only because I want to avoid that a revised edition will be published later this year... Have there been any hints, rumours or announcements about this which I missed, or is it fairly 'safe' to buy the books now? My understanding of WotC's 5E policy is that there will be no revised edition in any case but I could be wrong and wanted to double-check.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!

pukunui

Legend
It is unlikely that WotC will come out with a revised edition of 5e any time soon. You should be safe to buy the core books now.

TallIan

Explorer
There is an errata, but there are no significant changes. Mostly the errata just clears stuff up, so you should be safe

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Also the errata has been incorporated into later printings. So you'll be getting that anyway.

TallIan

Explorer
I meant there is nothing on the horizon like the change from 3.0 to 3.5 where they had to fix serious flaws in the system.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

seebs

Adventurer
The 3.5 thing was sort of annoying, although I did like the resulting system better. But 5e feels a lot better to begin with.

Wepwawet

Explorer
Also, all the new playtest subclasses and classes on Unearthed Arcana point to a new rules expansion, a sort of PHB2.

So yeah, I'm sure 5E will stay for a while.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I meant there is nothing on the horizon like the change from 3.0 to 3.5 where they had to fix serious flaws in the system.
3.5 didn't fix serious flaws in the system. It 'fixed a flaw' in the WotC business model by charging full price (as opposed to a loss-leader strategy) for the core books, and flogging revenue out of a shrinking customer base with a rapid pace of releases calculated to appeal to players (since there's more players than DMs). 5e, of course, has reintroduced the flaw of slow releases that appeal to DMs (but kept charging full price). As a result, revenue has risen disastrously.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads