• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Question regarding Prestige class progression

Xeeker

First Post
Was discussing whether or not the mystic theurge was overpowered, when a friend stated that you "cannot take more than 10 levels of a given prestige class, unless it is outlined in the epic level handbook" which given that it is 3.5 it wouldn't be.

So the question is: is there anything forbidding me from taking mystic theurge past level 10? It wouldn't seem hard since you just keep taking +1 arcane / +1 divine spell levels, and leave it at that...?

No.

You cannot take more than 10 levels of a 10-level PrC unless you're Epic. And the Mystic Theurge doesn't just get +1 of each caster level once Epic. If you look at the 3.5 Conversion Guide, the Mystic Theurge advances a bit slower once you go Epic.

Xeeker

First Post
got a link for the conversion guide? heard about it but haven't had luck finding it. And thanks for the clarification, just to make sure: until my total classes passes 20 i cannot take a prestige class above 10?

The Conversion Guide is on Wizards site. Go to www.wizards.com/dnd and just scroll down a bit and its on the right.

And the point where you're actually "epic" is a thing of debate. But yes, from my understanding, you need your character level to pass 20 before advancing more in a 10-lvl PrC.

Xeeker

First Post
thank you very much ankh, time to go lay the smack down on my comic-store guys that thought otherwise :D of course there goes my hopes for an overpowered class :p

AGGEMAM

First Post
Xeeker said:
And thanks for the clarification, just to make sure: until my total classes passes 20 i cannot take a prestige class above 10?

That is correct. To be exact, you can take your 11th level in a PrC when you reach a total level of 21th or higher.

Funny though...I just realized I read what you said wrong. Even IF a class isn't in the ELH, you can make a progression for it...I thought you meant if you weren't already Epic and asking if it was possible to take more than 10 levels...which you may have been...I think I'm confusing myself.

Still, the ELH doesn't have EVERY PrC in it. That's just not possible. Instead, you've got examples on how to expand the class. It just so happens that the MT is in the Conversion Guide. :)

Kae'Yoss

First Post
About some things here:

You turn epic as soon as your ECL is 21. So a drow fighter 19 is epic.

You can make an epic progression for every PrC that has at least 10 levels (the others, like Archmage with only 5 levels, cannot be made epic). The DMG has info on what exactly will improve (in short: everything that has a formular or regular advancement, like sneak attack or rage/day, will improve, things that stop before 20th level or that occur only once or irregularly, won't. This is greater rage, Ki Strike). Also, you get epic bonus feats (every 2nd till 5th level, depending on how many of your normal abilities survived the epic theshold).

At first, I thought the Mystic Theurge was to powerful, but I think it's OK as long as they stay equal with their levels (no Wiz 3/ MT 10, Clr 7). So you should either make sure that the player accepts that or increase the prerequisites so he has to get 3rd-level spells.

Remove ads