DDAL Questions about AL

TrueBagelMan

Explorer
1. What is the current season?
2. If it is season 9 do you start out with a common magic item except Ruby of the war mage and such?
3. If you have gone to one, how would you rate it?

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I played the first few seasons of AL at conventions, then IRL got in the way. I enjoyed the chance to meet new players and tackle challenges (sometimes with optimum tools, sometimes with conversions and make-dos, sometimes with no idea what to do or how to do it). Some of the best memories come from the improvising. Of course at conventions you are on a time limit and have to stay on task if you want time to enjoy facing the BBEG at the end of the module.

AL rules and new char gen requirements can be found at the WotC website; search "Adventure League" if nothing obvious is visible. (Personally I disfavor the changes made the last few seasons to magic items and XP, but YMMV for the better.)

I think Avernus is Season Nine but I have not been watching attentively.

Adamant

Explorer
Current season is season 9, as previously mentioned. The rules for starting with a common item are: You can't have chosen to take Plane-Touched Wings(the season 9 option that lets you make an aasimar or tiefling and get wings at 5th level), and the item can't be magical armor, weapons, wondrous items that function as weapons, a clockwork amulet, a dark shard amulet, a hat of wizardry, or a ruby of the war mage.

As for rating AL, it varies widely depending on the dm and players you end up with. My local store has several good dms, 1 or 2 okay ones, and 1 dm I actively try to avoid playing under. My store holds AL twice a week, with one day being for steady campaigns and one being for modules.

If you want to learn more about the special rules for adventurer's league I suggest downloading the Adventurer's League Player and DM Pack from DM's Guild. The files in there that you should read first are the AL Player's Guide for Forgotten Realms and the AL FAQ. If you read those before you show up you will be more prepared than even many people who play AL regularly. A lot of people just learn the rules from the people there when they show up without bothering to go to a 3rd party site and read the official guidelines.

TrueBagelMan

Explorer
Thank you for the information. I was making sure that I can start out as a gambler who cheats at his game with a charlatan die and marked cards.

TrueBagelMan

Explorer
The character I’m playing is a half elf divine soul sorcerer that works as an undercover member of the Harpers and plays gambling games he cheats at to pass the time.

TrueBagelMan

Explorer
Also can players do gambling games with each other like everyone puts in 5 silver and winner gets it all? I mean as they actually give the silver in game to the winner.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Also can players do gambling games with each other like everyone puts in 5 silver and winner gets it all? I mean as they actually give the silver in game to the winner.

No. You can't give other characters money, and you can only borrow mundane items. The only exception, IIRC, is if you pool money for a spellcasting service like Raise Dead. So you could play if you want, but no money will ultimately change hands, as it would all return to the original owner at the end of the module.

Also, if you want to be a Harper, remember you have to have the Safe Haven background feature. That requires either the Faction Agent background, or for you to customize your background. It's easy enough to do, just a bit annoying.

But good luck playing! I hope you have fun.

aco175

Legend
Same thing with the new way they reward gold at the end of the adventure. For 1-4 level you only gain 20gp for each hour you play or 80gp for each module, not the campaign book. You would not be able to play NPCs in a bar and hope to profit more than the 80gp each adventure. You may be able to cut cards or roll a die to borrow a horse or borrow a tool for the adventure though. That would be a DM call.

jasper

Rotten DM
Some of this is outdated
If a PC is dead, diseased or Curse. Buy a scroll. Or destroy a magic item you own. This limits you max magic count until you reach the next tier. NOTE if you sold your soul the PC is totally dead.

If you choose a faction it must have the save haven background. At Tier 1 being a member of a faction gets a free magic item but you lose it if you leave the faction. Faction benefits All – Ring of Protection, Harper- Ring of free Action, Gauntlet- Ring of Fire resistance, Emerald- Ring of Animal Influence, Lord’s- ring of ram, Zhentarim – Ring of Evasion. Magic item limit applies.

Season 9 Incentives. PC started to run Season 9 can take one of the three options on page 6 of ALPGV9.1.

Season 9 Renown item at tier 2 is your choice of +1 weapon, +1 shied, +1 rod of pact keeper, or +1 wand of war mage. Magic item limit applies.

jasper

Rotten DM
As A DM, some of modules are subpar. I am writing my own box text. It depends on the players, DM, and location. I have some players we separate due to personality conflicts. At cons it varies wildly. I had players leave my table after session, get back in line and request me. Other players were strangely quiet after the session.
You don't have play in Season 9 content but do have to play by season nine rules.

Remove ads