• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Questions about Invisibility

BartD

First Post
Ok, invisibility is confusing me. What happens if a character in melee somehow turns invisible, moves around his opponent, and attacks?
1. Does the opponent get AoO for the (invisible) movement through his threatened squares?
2. Is the opponent considered flatfooted for the attack?

3. What if an invisible character (without reach) charges an opponent with reach? AoO?
4. What if an invisible character moves past an armed opponent? AoO?

I guess it comes down to sensing the invisible character and reacting to it, but I cant find any rules for it?

Vegepygmy

First Post
PHB, page 152:

"You can’t execute an attack of opportunity against an opponent with total concealment, even if you know what square or squares the opponent occupies."

Goolpsy

First Post
In the world of d&d you dont threaten a person you cannot see.

1. square isn't threatend for the invis character--> no AOO
2. Yes for the first attack (sine u turn visible after that) with greater invisibility he will continue to be flatfooted.
3. No AOO same reason as nr. 1
4. Same as nr. 1

ninja.assassin

First Post
Technically, attacking while invisible denies your victim their Dexterity bonus to AC not considers them flat-footed. Flat-footed is a condition and as such carries with it other connotations. Like flat-footed characters can't make attacks of opportunity.

BartD

First Post
What about Spot?

Ok, thanks for the replies I had missed that paragraph.

But then what if the opponent makes a DC 20 spot check? The spot skill (SRD) states that:

"A Spot check result higher than 20 generally lets you become aware of an invisible creature near you, though you can’t actually see it" ... what does that mean?

The the opponent is then "aware" of me being next to him - is he then still denied his Dex bonus to AC and can be sneak attacked?

irdeggman

First Post
BartD said:
Ok, thanks for the replies I had missed that paragraph.

But then what if the opponent makes a DC 20 spot check? The spot skill (SRD) states that:

"A Spot check result higher than 20 generally lets you become aware of an invisible creature near you, though you can’t actually see it" ... what does that mean?

Making the spot check allows you to know what square to make your attack against. You then still suffer the miss chance for total concealment but until you know what square to attack you are randomly attacking a square and then if you managed to find the correct one you still have the miss chance to deal with.

Total Concealment: If you have line of effect to a target but not line of sight he is considered to have total concealment from you. You can’t attack an opponent that has total concealment, though you can attack into a square that you think he occupies. A successful attack into a square occupied by an enemy with total concealment has a 50% miss chance (instead of the normal 20% miss chance for an opponent with concealment).

You can’t execute an attack of opportunity against an opponent with total concealment, even if you know what square or squares the opponent occupies.

The the opponent is then "aware" of me being next to him - is he then still denied his Dex bonus to AC and can be sneak attacked?

Yes the combat modifer table states if the attacker is invisible he gets a +2 to his attack and his opponent is denied his dex bonus to AC. It has nothing to do with being "aware" only with being "invisible".

Remove ads