Questions about Iron Heroes?

wizofice

First Post
sukael said:
I may have just missed this somewhere, but how does an Arcanist actually gather mana?
It's a set number per day based on level. He can attempt to exceed that number, but it's risky and carries a cost.

sukael

First Post
wizofice said:
It's a set number per day based on level. He can attempt to exceed that number, but it's risky and carries a cost.

Ah.

...the flavor text had led me to think it was an active action to gather mana, like all the token-getting for other classes... oh, well. x.x

Kaos

First Post
ThirdWizard said:
I have another question (for anyone who can answer, doesn't have to be Kaos if anyone else knows :) ).

I have a character who is taking Devious Manipulator (1), but I'm a bit confused on how this works. It says I can make a Bluff against Sense motive to gain a token, but is this a Standard Action? It seems like it is, but I'll make sure others agree.

I would presume so; while it won't necessarily be done in combat (since devious manipulator has out-of-combat applications) it will be often enough. And bluffs made to feint or create distraction are standard actions.

It just seems odd that your max number of tokens is your level + 10, and that would equate to a, say, 10th level character spending 20 rounds doing nothing but moving around! Since you can spend 5 tokens a round, it seems like they do expect you to build up quite a few tokens, otherwise the restriction wouldn't be as important. But, it still seems to read to me as a Standard Action.

Quite often, there are ways of getting tokens faster. With Devious Manipulator, you can accept a skill challenge (for each -5 you take to your bluff check, you get an extra token.) Still would take awhile to build up though.

JBowtie

First Post
What content is designated as OGC in the book? I've found Malhavoc books tend be a lot more closed than, say, Green Ronin (99.44%+ open content, frequently), and don't want to buy any more books where it's "look but don't touch".

The magic system? (the AU system and Mindscapes system were closed content)

The stunt system? (IIRC, the Iron Might stunt system is open and this is presumably an extension of that)

The token pool mechanic? (probably if the class features are open)

New class features? (usually these are, but you never know)

ThirdWizard

First Post
OGC:

Chapter 1 (mainly the new point-buy)
Chapter 4 (enhanced/altered skills, skill groups, skill challenges)
Class Tables & Features
Feats (including mastery mechanic)
All spell methods

Dav

First Post
JBowtie said:
What content is designated as OGC in the book? I've found Malhavoc books tend be a lot more closed than, say, Green Ronin (99.44%+ open content, frequently), and don't want to buy any more books where it's "look but don't touch".
Out of curiosity, why does what material is OGC matter to you? (Unless you're an RPG designer/publisher, in which case, ignore what follows.) As a GM and/or a player, you're not prevented by using anything in RPG books in your games. As a GM/player myself, the openness (or closedness) of a game doesn't matter to me.

JBowtie

First Post
Dav said:
Out of curiosity, why does what material is OGC matter to you? (Unless you're an RPG designer/publisher, in which case, ignore what follows.) As a GM and/or a player, you're not prevented by using anything in RPG books in your games. As a GM/player myself, the openness (or closedness) of a game doesn't matter to me.

Well, I do have delusions that I'll actually publish someday. However, as a GM I can't legally reproduce closed content on my campaign wiki - a far more pressing matter. Even if I only included rules by reference, any house rules would likely be considered derived content in some jurisdictions and therefore subject to publisher approval.

Geoff Watson

First Post
JBowtie said:
Well, I do have delusions that I'll actually publish someday. However, as a GM I can't legally reproduce closed content on my campaign wiki - a far more pressing matter. Even if I only included rules by reference, any house rules would likely be considered derived content in some jurisdictions and therefore subject to publisher approval.

That only applies if you want to use the OGL.

You don't have to; you could use 'closed' stuff under 'fair use', or the like.

Geoff.

Remove ads