• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Questions about Pearl of Power

Celebrim

Legend
Whenever there's ambiguity, if one interpretation would be problematic, it's preferable to use the other interpretation. It's far from clear that the Pearl is intended to not cost an action.

I would go further. It's fairly clear that the Pearl is intended to cost an action. Use activation is not inherently without an activation cost. The description of use activation in the SRD makes this clear.

In general, a use activated item only takes no action to use if it already requires some other action to use it. That is to say a use activated item either requires a standard action or it requires no additional action beyond the one implied by its use. If the use activated item does not require an explicit usage action to use it (swinging a sword, quaffing a potion, putting on a ring), then the use activated item usually requires a standard action to use. We'd generally expect in the Pearl of Power's case that it would specify no action is required to activate it if that were the case, but instead it specifies (with admittedly and unhappily technical language) that a command is required.

However untechnical the wording, I think it is obviously intended from the wording for the Pearl of Power to require a standard action along with a conscious mental command to use it.

It's like the crystal shard spell, which deals piercing damage that ignores DR because it's technically coming from a spell and all spell damage technically ignores DR. There was clearly some sort of miscommunication between the designers of the various sub-systems.

Not that it matters, but personally I think it's absurd that spell damage ignores DR in the first place. But that's a different situation. You can't know if the designer of crystal shard knew that spell damage bypassed DR and intended the effect. I think Pearl of Power is obviously using an action within the rules as written and wouldn't bow to a rules lawyer with a different interpretation. But with the crystal shard case, the rules lawyer is obviously correct assuming we've agreed that Psionic powers adhere to the rules for spells unless otherwise stated (psionic-magic transparency). The rules may be ill-considered, but at least they are clear.

Last edited:

Greenfield

Adventurer
Whenever there's ambiguity, if one interpretation would be problematic, it's preferable to use the other interpretation. It's far from clear that the Pearl is intended to not cost an action.

It's like the crystal shard spell, which deals piercing damage that ignores DR because it's technically coming from a spell and all spell damage technically ignores DR. There was clearly some sort of miscommunication between the designers of the various sub-systems.

The Use-Activated rules aren't ambiguous. They call out that item very clearly. And since we're looking at two pages of the same source, it's kind of silly to suggest that the designers didn't communicate with themselves.

To Celebrim: Consider the idea of a spoken or mental instruction to the Pearl, as part of recasting the spell. That is, as part of the standard action involved in re-casting.

Let me ask you both a question I posed earlier: Does activating a Flame Blade effect on a sword take a standard action (due to the "On command" language in the descriptor), or is it use-activated, an instruction (verbal or mental) given when the blade is drawn or swung?

Most people I know play that activating is implicit in wielding the blade, and are taken off guard when I point out the "on command" verbiage.

Which side do you land on? (This is closely related to the idea of activating a Pearl as part of the spell casting, so I'm not really off topic.)

Let me ask you both a question I posed earlier: Does activating a Flame Blade effect on a sword take a standard action (due to the "On command" language in the descriptor), or is it use-activated, an instruction (verbal or mental) given when the blade is drawn or swung?
Yes, it always takes a standard action to activate that ability of a Flaming weapon. (You generally have to say, "Flame on!" while you brandish it overhead.) It's not like the sword is always reading your mind, just waiting for you to draw it so that it can automatically burn everything at a moment's notice. Just because it's magic, that doesn't mean it's psychic.

Vegepygmy

First Post
The Use-Activated rules aren't ambiguous. They call out that item very clearly. And since we're looking at two pages of the same source, it's kind of silly to suggest that the designers didn't communicate with themselves.

"Many use-activated items are objects that a character wears. Continually functioning items, such as a cloak of resistance or a headband of intellect, are practically always items that one wears. A few, such as a pearl of power, must simply be in the character’s possession (on his person, not at home in a locked trunk). However, some items made for wearing, such as a ring of invisibility, must still be activated. Although this activation sometimes requires a command word (see above), usually it means mentally willing the activation to happen. The description of an item states whether a command word is needed in such a case."

What's above? This.

"Activating a command word magic item is a standard action and does not provoke attacks of opportunity."

End of argument. Pearls of power are activated on command, which is a standard action (just like drinking a potion or swinging a sword).

Greenfield

Adventurer
Reading onward from the quoted section is enlightening, and yes, it clarifies that a Pearl of Power, while "Use activated" can still take a standard action.

Potions, for example, are "use activated". No command words needed, but you have to drink the potion to use it. Same for salves and oils: You have to apply them. Dusts must be sprinkled and tossed.

Some items, such as magic hats, are activated simply by putting them on, according to the book. Sort of a contradiction for the Hat of Disguise, which takes a command to activate, but specific tops general.

The Pearl of Power is use-activated in that it isn't a spell-completion item (i.e. not a Scroll or anything like it), no is it a Spell Trigger item (it isn't a wand or staff). Use activated is all that's left.

Oddly, in regard to spell trigger items, it says that activation words for them are usually obscure, or from some ancient language because common words that can come up in conversation can trigger the item accidentally. It also says that using the command word is a standard action.

Speaking is considered an Immediate Action, in that you can do it even when it isn't your turn, and is considered to be so casual that it takes no significant time. Yet one word or phrase in a sentence, an "immediate action" can accidentally use your standard Action for the round.

I wonder what happens when you're speaking out of turn and accidentally trigger a wand? Does it use your next Standard Action? Does it trigger the item at all? All kinds of headaches in that one paragraph.

It also implies, however, that multiple items with the same command word could trigger at the same time. That's another "Not just no, but Hell No!" possibility to be smashed, shredded, and obliterated with fire.

To me, item activation should never be accidental, unless it's made that way on purpose. Sort of a curse, if you will. Simply saying a word shouldn't do it. You have to mean it.

Yeah, it's better to just figure out how you want the items to work (or how you think the designers intend the items to work), and not question the exact wording. If you read too far into it, a lot of the magic item rules are just blatherskite.

Greenfield

Adventurer
I think what had me confused is the distinction made in the magic item creation/pricing section. Spell completion is priced as caster level times spell level times 25 (Scrolls). Potions are caster level times spell level times 50. Spell Trigger items (Wands) are prices caster level times spell level times 750, etc.

It makes a distinction there between command activated items (Caster level time spell level times 1800) and Use Activated (Caster Level times Spell Level times 2000). This completely contradicts the concept of a "Use activated" Pearl of Power requiring a command, and an action. The creation logic makes it an either/or situation, while the item activation rules apparently allow for an item to be both.

Remove ads