Questions about Unconscious (hex, sleep, wild shape, familiar)

You can't actually do non-lethal damage to planer creatures like familiars, demons etc, or constructs or undead.

TBH, I'm not sure I would allow a druid to do non-lethal damage in wolf form anyway.

epithet

Explorer
If a hexed creature dies, and the hex is not moved to another target, and the creature's corpse is animated as a zombie, does the hex apply to the zombie?

My answer would be no, since the undead thing is a separate and distinct creature from the dead creature from which it was created.

Does anyone have a different answer?

the Jester

Legend
Most (all?) Planar beings return to their home plane upon dropping to 0.

Again- where is this in the rules? Find familiar and find steed state that familiars and (found) steeds disappear upon reaching 0, but I can't find any general rule to that effect. Neither the angel nor demon entry in the Monster Manual, for example, says anything to that effect, at least not on a once-over. Nor do I find anything that indicates that you can't render an undead or construct unconscious when you reduce it to 0 hit points.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Again- where is this in the rules? Find familiar and find steed state that familiars and (found) steeds disappear upon reaching 0, but I can't find any general rule to that effect. Neither the angel nor demon entry in the Monster Manual, for example, says anything to that effect, at least not on a once-over. Nor do I find anything that indicates that you can't render an undead or construct unconscious when you reduce it to 0 hit points.

Honestly, I haven't looked into it much. I think it was Devils mostly? I know Tiamat does.

Satyrn

First Post
Honestly, I haven't looked into it much. I think it was Devils mostly? I know Tiamat does.
The "rules" are in the fluff descriptions of the monster manual. They aren't written very strictly, though: Demons reform instantly on their home plane "when a lucky hero manages to drop a demon in combat" while a devil reforms "if it dies."

I'd say that when deciding if they can be knocked out instead of killed, there's nothing in what's written that makes ruling one way more right than the other.

Remove ads