• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Questions about wielding a double weapon

Azlan

First Post
When wielding a double weapon, the wielder can attack with both ends of that weapon if he takes a full-round action to do so, and if he takes a -2 attack penalty to each swing of either end of his weapon. (This assumes the wielder has the Two-Weapon Fighting feat).

But what if the wielder of a double weapon cannot take a full-round action; e.g., if he needs to first move 10' or more into position, before attacking? Does the wielder still suffer a -2 attack penalty, even though he's only attacking once, with one end of his double weapon? And can the wielder then apply x1.5 his Str bonus to the damage of that one attack, since he's swinging with both hands?

akbearfoot

First Post
First part sounds right...Primary attack with 1 side, 1 bonus attack with the other side. Both attacks, including iteratives you may have all suffer the -2 penalty.

You dont HAVE to fight with both sides of a double weapon. You can designate 1 side to be used for a round, and you don't have to take any penalty...the penalty comes from fighting with 2-weapons via the two-weapon fighting feat....not by virtue of simply holding a weapon that can be used as a double weapon. In fact, you can even get 1.5 strength bonus when attacking with only 1 side of a double weapon and increaced power attack damage...But not if you fight with both ends.

This depends on how you read the rules on Two-Weapon Fighting.

Under one reading, the player must decide at the beginning of the round whether he is using the double weapon as a two-handed weapon (and thus cannot benefit from TWF at all, but gets 1.5x his Strength bonus on damage rolls) or as a "double weapon" (and thus takes the appropriate penalties even if he does not attack with both ends).

Under the other reading, the player makes the decision only by taking the Full Attack action and benefitting from the TWF rules to make multiple attacks.

Pick which one you'll use in your campaign, and stick with it. I prefer the 2nd reading. :)

werk

First Post
Sounds right to me.

I think it would generally be good to use one end of a double weapon anytime you are denied a full round attack.

The exception that I can think of would be having different weapon properties on the weapons, say frost on one end and undead bane on the other. If you charge up and whack a skellie with the undead bane end of the weapon (as a single weapon attacking without penalties), then you can't use the other end on AoO like you would be able to if you were weilding as a double weapon and <ducks> fighting that way, meaning with two weapons. The -2 penalty applies to whenever you are fighting (holding? weilding? attacking?) with two weapons. It's a long, difficult discussion...

Ranger REG

Explorer
Azlan said:
But what if the wielder of a double weapon cannot take a full-round action; e.g., if he needs to first move 10' or more into position, before attacking? Does the wielder still suffer a -2 attack penalty, even though he's only attacking once, with one end of his double weapon? And can the wielder then apply x1.5 his Str bonus to the damage of that one attack, since he's swinging with both hands?
Keep in mind that a double weapon is first and foremost (i.e., by default) a two-handed weapon. So when attacking with one end, you attack just as you would with any two-handed weapon (like a greatsword).

IOW, you don't suffer the -2 attack penalty (because you're not attacking with both ends but one end), and you can apply Str x 1.5 bonus to damage on a successful hit.

Many gamers have a misconception that you MUST attack with both ends of a double weapon.

werk said:
It's a long, difficult discussion...

I agree its a long, difficult discussion. My reading, and use in play, is based on the same thing I use for everything else. You threaten an area with melee weapons you had readied for use during your last turn.

This means a double-weapon used for a single 2h-attack only has that side of the weapon readied and available for AoO.

If you take the full attack option and accept the -2 penatly to hit for TWF, then you can use either side of the weapon for an AoO.

Bascially its Patryn's option #1 above :)

Yes I know, the FAQ about armored spikes disagree with me.... or more correctly I disagree with it :)

The only kink this interpretation leaves is those annoying characters with Combat Reflexes that carry quarterstaffs.... :uhoh:

squee

First Post
werk said:
Sounds right to me.

I think it would generally be good to use one end of a double weapon anytime you are denied a full round attack.

The exception that I can think of would be having different weapon properties on the weapons, say frost on one end and undead bane on the other. If you charge up and whack a skellie with the undead bane end of the weapon (as a single weapon attacking without penalties), then you can't use the other end on AoO like you would be able to if you were weilding as a double weapon and <ducks> fighting that way, meaning with two weapons. The -2 penalty applies to whenever you are fighting (holding? weilding? attacking?) with two weapons. It's a long, difficult discussion...

correct me if I'm wrong but can't you take a free action before you take your attack of opportunity? and wouldn't changing the end of a double weapon you're attacking with be a free action?

squee

First Post
OK, than let me ask this could you have the weapon readied as if it was 2 one handed weapons, allowing you to use either end for your AoO but only with a x1 strength bonus?

irdeggman

First Post
squee said:
correct me if I'm wrong but can't you take a free action before you take your attack of opportunity? and wouldn't changing the end of a double weapon you're attacking with be a free action?

Hyp already covered the free action outside of your turn part but changing weapons isn't a free action anyway - its a move action.

Draw or Sheathe a Weapon
Drawing a weapon so that you can use it in combat, or putting it away so that you have a free hand, requires a move action. This action also applies to weapon-like objects carried in easy reach, such as wands. If your weapon or weapon-like object is stored in a pack or otherwise out of easy reach, treat this action as retrieving a stored item.

If you have a base attack bonus of +1 or higher, you may draw a weapon as a free action combined with a regular move. If you have the Two-Weapon Fighting feat, you can draw two light or one-handed weapons in the time it would normally take you to draw one.

Drawing ammunition for use with a ranged weapon (such as arrows, bolts, sling bullets, or shuriken) is a free action.

Manipulate an Item
In most cases, moving or manipulating an item is a move action.

This includes retrieving or putting away a stored item, picking up an item, moving a heavy object, and opening a door. Examples of this kind of action, along with whether they incur an attack of opportunity, are given in Table: Actions in Combat.

Double Weapons: Dire flails, dwarven urgroshes, gnome hooked hammers, orc double axes, quarterstaffs, and two-bladed swords are double weapons. A character can fight with both ends of a double weapon as if fighting with two weapons, but he or she incurs all the normal attack penalties associated with two-weapon combat, just as though the character were wielding a one-handed weapon and a light weapon.

The character can also choose to use a double weapon two handed, attacking with only one end of it. A creature wielding a double weapon in one hand can’t use it as a double weapon—only one end of the weapon can be used in any given round.

Remove ads