• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Questions: Charging and obtaining True Strike

Monsterknuffel

First Post
Hi :)
The first Question is about damage when making a charge attack.
When i make a charge attack with a lance, i do double damage with it.
But which damage is doubled if i have a magic weapon:
For Example:
The Paladin would have 18 Str and a +1 Charging Collision Lance (charging:
While Charging the weapon makes +2d6 damage; Collision: Due to weight relocation at the tip of the weapon it makes an extra 5 damage)

Now i make a charge attack that hits.
Is this correct ?
(1w8+1 + 6 + 2d6 +5 + power attack x2 )x2
(lance + str +charging + coll.+ power attack x2)x2

Edit: Lol -_-
After i posted it i found the answer: "Exception: Extra damage dice over and above a weapon’s normal damage are never multiplied."
So the correct formula would then be:
(1w8+1 + 6 + 5 + power attack x2 )x2 + 2d6
(lance + str + collision+ power attack x2)x2 +charging

The second question is about True Strike.
I don´t want to take a lvl arcane caster. The only options i found were:

1.Able Learner and taking Use Magic Device; but i would need many levels because the lower max. rank of a cross class skill still applies. And i would maybe need a "quite" expensive +10 on skill item. It would be good when I reach lvl 10-12 then i would have 5-6 ranks in UMD +CHA ~3 + 10 on skill item.

2. Taking the Arcane Schooling Feat (Players Guide to Faerun)
Then i could use spell trigger magic items as if i were a wizard (e.g) of 1st level.

I would prefer the second method because i don´t see nearly any disadvantage.
Ok i have to take it in the first level, and it will be good with true strike when i get power attack in the ~9-12th lvl. But i already can use other arcane wands with buffs.

Last edited:

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
You already answered yourself for the first question, the only other thing is if you wanted to optimize the damage more.

For the second question, I don't know anything about that feat, so I can't help you there. The only other option might be if you multiclassed one level into a full BAB arcanist, like Hexblade or Duskblade. You would then qualify as an arcanist, and be able to use any eternal wand (Magic Item Compendium), even if the spell isn't on your class list. Eternal Wands are similar to normal wands, but instead of charges, can be used 2/day. The prices are close, but not identical, to normal wands. A first level spell eternal wand would cost 820 gp, so just get a few of those after multiclassing.

Runestar

First Post
As a general thumb of rule, fixed damage values (such as enhancement bonus, weapon spec, smite) are always multiplied, while variable damage die (such as sneak attack, damage from powerful charge) are never multiplied.:)

akbearfoot

First Post
If you already have a +4(I think) weapon, then you should already be in the mid level range...

+4 weapon requires a 12th level crafter, or you'd need 32k gold to buy one.

At that level you're probably better off with other mounted combat feats, or trying to abuse the Leap attack/combat brute thing. Or possibly a feat or 2 into Martial maneuver/stance. If your goal is to hit really hard on charges, then there's way better things out there than True Strike.

True strike takes a standard action to cast...which is probably not that easy in fights where both you and your opponent are aware of each other.

If they see you with that big arse lance they are probably going to charge you if you stop to spend a round to cast a buff spell. It is the tactically smart choice.

Monsterknuffel

First Post
The Cavalier Charger is not used right now, but it will be my next character, so i habe plenty of time to build it.^^
Right now the plans are :

Race: Human

Classes:
Paladin 5 / Fighter 2/ Class 1(dont know right now, maybe 1more pala because of spell and remove disease) / Cavalier 10

Feats:
-Mounted Combat (req.)
-Ride by attack (req.)
-Weapon Focus (lance) (req.)
-Spirited Charge (req.)
-Cohort (?)
-Power Attack
-Ancestral Relic
-Cavalry Charger (?)
-Trample(?)
(feats are not in the right order)
-(Arcane Schooling) just to not forget it^^
-(Able Learner)

I don´t know what special mount i should take. i prefer the unicorn. The other mount i have in mind is a riding lizard because of its climb speed.
The idea behind the cohort feat is to give the unicorn some cleric levels.
Ancestral Relic because it has much flavor and is good because when do you find a good lance in an adventure. (Well i could ask the dm i know)

The True Strike variant:
1st round (maybe before battle): Cast True Strike
2nd round: Use Deadly charge of the Cavalier, and make a huge amount of damage in the first round.
Example: lvl 10 Char: Deadly Charge is the same as spirited charge, usable 1/day at that level and quadruples the lance charge damage.
I cast True strike => (1w8+ 1,5xstr +20 )x4 without any magic boni.
(power attack 10 x2)
That would be at least 80 damage only because of power attack. But ok, it's hard to achieve because of the 2 rounds it would need. and the posibility to charge an enemy in the next round.

I am not sure if i can combine that with leap attack because it doesnt make sense to me how that should work. Combat Brute, With leap attack quite nice though. But Leap attack doesn´t triple the damage in the Combat Brute 2nd round.

I could drop the Paladin classes too and take something else instead. But hmm...i don´t exactly know if that is what i want then. It must be incredbily cool and strong, mounted, and if possible of good alignment.^^ And i definitely don´t want a halfling outrider, although he is quite strong. I like the idea of a lawful stupid mounted paladin being the head of the attack and the goodness in person. :eek:

Drowbane

First Post
Druid 8 ~
Feats
1st: fey blood (Cha powered Druid... instead of Wis)
3rd: natural bond (complete adventurer)
6th: leadership
9th: natural spell

Cohort~
Human Fighter 6th lvl
Feats
human: wild talent (XPH)
1st: psionic weapon (XPH)
3rd: spirited charge
6th: deep impact (XPH)
Fi 1: mounted combat
Fi 2: ride-by attack
Fi 4: power attack
Fi 6: cleave?

Animal Companion~
Beast of choice (use something from the -3 or -6 chart... as natural bond will negate 3 of that) w/heavy armor barding.

~~~

Cohort & Companion charge foe, cohort expends his psi-focus to use deep impact (attack becomes Touch), uses max power attack + spirited charge.... rides by corpse... takes a round to line up next charge and to recover psi-focus. Your druid could ride along, or fly high above as an eagle... or...

~~~
Alternately, the Druid could be set up as the rider or mount. I prefer this version as the druid (with heavy use of wildshape) could be mistaken as another "pet" of the rider's.

edit: I don't recall where this feat is from... If I had to guess I'd say Dragon mag.

Fey Blood (General)
You have one or more fey as ancestors, and as a result your druid powers come naturally to you rather than from any great insight into the nature of the world.
Prerequisites: Cha 11+, ability to speak the Sylvan language, humanoid or giant type.
Benefit: Your druid spellcasting powers are based on Charisma rather than Wisdom. To prepare or cast a druid spell, you must have a Charisma score of at least 10 + the spell's level, and you gain bonus spells based on your Charisma score. The DC for saving throws against your druid spells is 10 + the spell's level + your Charisma modifier. This feat does not alter the means by which you prepare or cast druid spells; you must still prepare spells in advance, as normal. Because you are using your natural fey connection to nature as the conduit for your magical powers rather than any great insight, your spells are considered to be partially fey magic. Any druid of 4th level or higher with the Resist Nature's Lure class ability gains a +2 bonus to saving throws against your druid spells.
Special: You may only select this feat at 1st level, though you need not possess the druid class at that time. Your DM may limit this feat to certain appropriate races that would be likely to have crossbred with fey over the history of the campaign world.

Last edited:

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Animal Companion~
Beast of choice (use something from the -3 or -6 chart... as natural bond will negate 3 of that)

Does that really work? I've never even heard of doing something like that before. Not that it wrecks your cool build idea even if it doesn't work as you say, but I'm just curious if there's any "proof" or a good argument for why it'd work, other than a too-literal reading of the text.

Drowbane

First Post
Does that really work? I've never even heard of doing something like that before. Not that it wrecks your cool build idea even if it doesn't work as you say, but I'm just curious if there's any "proof" or a good argument for why it'd work, other than a too-literal reading of the text.

I don't know about "too literal", it seems pretty obvious (to me) just reading the feat and relevant druid info in the PHB.

It makes for a slightly beefier animal companion, whether you're a druid, a ranger, or multiclassed druid. It could have been written better to give first tier animal companions some love though.

Last edited:

Remove ads