• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WOIN Questions on Summoning spells

Shaun Palmer

Explorer
Can Summoned Semi-sentient creatures (animals, zombies etc) shrug off a charmed condition, or does the effects of the summon skill prevent it from happening? I ask as the summoning in the example spells list doesn't include any cost or mention of persistence.

If you have a killed a human NPC and wish to raise it with summon, can you only raise a zombie or can the spell be used to strip the flesh and raise a skeleton if preferred?

MacD

Just a tourist passing your way...
To get a SAFE summon, you should include a component that works against condition removal - but it will raise mana cost. Lower level summoners need to negotiate with their summon - or charm it again.
You surely know tales of summoned demons breaking their chain, don't you?

I'm not sure but I remember something like you cannot summon somebody special or dead; I prefer to use things like speak with dead, it's much less hassle and way easier to handle failure 😆
"I'm sorry, mam, but it seems like your dead father has gone missing" 😂

The answer to your specific question (Zombie vs skeleton) should be up to your GM, I don't remember any rules for that case.

So long 😉

Shaun Palmer

Explorer
Ahhh... which is why the Necromancer career has +CHA and [social] skills.

Would that be CHA vs MENTAL DEFENSE, or CHA vs WIL contest, or would it depend on the NPC being charmed? A minion would be vs MENTAL but a more significant NPC would be vs WIL?

I can imagine a charismatic Necromancer telling to her Undead minion "Could you be an utter DARLING and kill those people for me, you beautiful maggot ridden zombie" and rolling CHA + flirtation :)

MacD

Just a tourist passing your way...
😂
If a character doesn't have an exploit that allows a CHA attack, it's a CHA contest. If you crit such a contest you afflict charmed.

I'd recommend charming spells.

Necromancers can get undead servants without errors which obey every command via an special exploit.

Remove ads