• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Questions on the favored soul

Armadon63

First Post
Ok can a favored soul turn or rebuke undead and also do they get domains? It doesn't say anything about those so I was just wondering. Also does anyone have any tips on playing them? I dont know where to put my stats for this class.

uzagi_akimbo

First Post
Armadon63 said:
Ok can a favored soul turn or rebuke undead and also do they get domains? It doesn't say anything about those so I was just wondering. Also does anyone have any tips on playing them? I dont know where to put my stats for this class.

As stated - no domain's mentioned, no domains gained. Same for domain powers - none. Turn/Rebuke undead - no ability.

They are still pretty good as they stand - with 3 (!) strong saves (which usually get nerfed by the GM, to only 2 strong saves for balancing reasons ), all armourtypes ready for use, weapon spec in one's diety's favored weapon, elemental resistances etc etc. Plus full spontanity, and usually starting out with "3" spells known in a newly accessible level instead of "1" like the sorcerer...

Some GMs allow access to two of the the relevant dieties domains for purposes of picking spells for one's known repetoire (e.g. you might chosse spells from those on the domain' list, but you do not know them automatically ), to accentuate the favoured soul's divine heritage some more, but that is strictly house rule territory

Usually these chars focus on combat oriented roles (divine favour, Divine Power and Smite up to the gills, at will...) etc - so high Str , Wis and Cha feature prominently (the later for bonus spells and spell DC, you might consider DCs secondary depending upom your build, Con will need some attention too, both for HP and bolstering one's concentration rolls when casting under threat.
Int usually stays weak (not many skill to spend points on in the first place ) and Dex usually stays around 10 to 12, too, but can be compensated for with heavy armour.

Thanee

First Post
The Favored Soul plays pretty well as a "melee cleric", if you have chosen a deity with a decent melee weapon, of course.

With the weapon feats and no domain powers/turn undead ability (no Divine Might therefore, which would fit very well, unfortunately) its a bit more warrior-like even.

As for stats, that's one of the biggest downsides of the Favored Soul. They need many good stats!

Str for melee is obvious.

Dex can be lower, just like with a cleric, but lacking the heaviest armors, they need it a bit more. Tho, they can still use mithril full plates as they count as medium armor.

Con is a no-brainer for every char, that gets into combat.

Int is not needed that much, but it's still very nice to have for the Combat Expertise chain or some skills.

Wis is needed for spell DC. If you go more into the warrior/buff spells direction, you won't need it that much, but if you want to use offensive spells, it's a key ability as well.

Cha is needed for spell access and bonus spells, it's very important to have a high enough charisma to be at least able to cast the spells!

So, Str, Con and Cha are most important, followed by Dex, Int and Wis.

Concerning the power level, I think they are pretty much even with the cleric. The lack of turn undead and domains is a big downside, while spontaneous casting is a big advantage, but they also need two stats for spellcasting and another two for fighting, which lessens this advantage quite a bit, unless your stats are really good. And while they know more spells than sorcerers, so do clerics compared to wizards, since they know all spells. They still get the higher levels one level later and they also gain less spells per day as the sorcerer does over the wizard, since they have the same and clerics have more than wizards. The good Reflex save and Energy Resistances are nice, but hardly major abilities.

Bye
Thanee

P.S. @uzagi: FS has no heavy armor proficiency.

Last edited:

Armadon63

First Post
thanks for the info. I didn't really think of the class as more of a battle cleric. Im trying to get away from that actually. I thought of it as an offensive spell caster more then a melee guy. Ill still try and play him like that and hope it works out. Personally I would rather have 2 domains then the extr stuffa the class gets.

ForceUser

Explorer
Armadon63 said:
thanks for the info. I didn't really think of the class as more of a battle cleric. Im trying to get away from that actually. I thought of it as an offensive spell caster more then a melee guy. Ill still try and play him like that and hope it works out. Personally I would rather have 2 domains then the extr stuffa the class gets.
Sounds like you want to play a cleric, not a favored soul.

Thanee

First Post
Or, if you want spontaneous casting, the Spirit Shaman, though using the druid spell list, can work pretty well as an offensive caster, I think.

Bye
Thanee

uzagi_akimbo

First Post
Thanee said:
P.S. @uzagi: FS has no heavy armor proficiency.

Noted - had forgotten it was just the house rule around here, and in all honesty, not too many FSs get played anyhow as far as I can see (since most people I know want the domain powers to juggle with, as well as the turn undead feats for use with Divine Might, Divine Vigour, Enhanced Healing etc etc etc..) - especially since domain spontanity made some spell swapping possible.

Thanee

First Post
Darklone said:
Thanee: Using a mithral fullplate with only Medium Armor Proficiency is debated ;)
Debated maybe, debatable surely not. ;)

Medium armor is medium armor. Plain and simple.

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads