• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Questions re: Spider Climb spell vs. Slippers of SC

shadowthorn

First Post
Couple of questions.

First, the Spider Climb spell requires bare feet & hands; I assume that a Spider Climbing character therefore must use both hands & feet to travel on ceilings, etc. Does this mean a Spider Climbing character cannot cast spells or attack with a ranged weapon, since they need all limbs to climb?

If so, why do Slippers of Spider Climbing require only the feet to travel in this fashion, leaving the hands free to fire ranged weapons & cast spells. After all, the Slippers are created using the Spider Climb spell - so why do the Slippers grant abilities that the spell, by itself, does not?

Finally, when Spider Climbing (whether by boots or spell), do the character's items obey gravity (thus hanging straight down), or do they simply follow the character's position. In other words, if a Spider Climbing character wears a cloak while he's traversing a ceiling upside-down, does that cloak hang down to the floor (making it much easier to notice/grab the character), or does the cloak hang "up" to the ceiling, as if that is now the floor?

Do coins fall out of the character's pockets while he's upside-down? Swords from scabbards? Arrows from quivers?

The core rules & errata don't seem to address these issues, but perhaps the Sage made a ruling I don't know about.

What do you folks think?

Dr. Zoom

First Post
shadowthorn said:
First, the Spider Climb spell requires bare feet & hands; I assume that a Spider Climbing character therefore must use both hands & feet to travel on ceilings, etc. Does this mean a Spider Climbing character cannot cast spells or attack with a ranged weapon, since they need all limbs to climb?
Yes. If they are not moving, you might allow one hand to be used for throwing a dagger or something similar. Note that a climbing defender loses his dex bonus to AC and all attacks are made at +2 against him. He cannot use a shield, either.

If so, why do Slippers of Spider Climbing require only the feet to travel in this fashion, leaving the hands free to fire ranged weapons & cast spells. After all, the Slippers are created using the Spider Climb spell - so why do the Slippers grant abilities that the spell, by itself, does not?
Because that is how the magic item works. Items that require a certain spell don't always work the same way as that spell. Flaming swords are an example of this.

Finally, when Spider Climbing (whether by boots or spell), do the character's items obey gravity (thus hanging straight down), or do they simply follow the character's position. In other words, if a Spider Climbing character wears a cloak while he's traversing a ceiling upside-down, does that cloak hang down to the floor (making it much easier to notice/grab the character), or does the cloak hang "up" to the ceiling, as if that is now the floor?

Do coins fall out of the character's pockets while he's upside-down? Swords from scabbards? Arrows from quivers?
This spell does not reverse gravity. A cape would hang down, arrows, may fall out of a quiver, etc. The sword's scabbard would probably twist down so the sword stays in. Most belt pouches are latched so that coins will not fall out. Use your own judgment in this situation.

Last edited:

Xarlen

First Post
Actually, I would allow a character to walk on the ceiling, and thus be able to use his spells or fight, with Spiderclimb. Because that's just awesome.

OR, if you *really* wanted to cast spells while climbing, there's a 2nd level spell that makes that combo perfect: Alter Self.

Alter so you can grow some tentacles, or extra limbs, stick those to the wall, then spellcast or shoot. This is good if you spiderclimb into a corner in the ceiling, cast Shield on yourself (As well as other defensive spells), then just take a stand and start firing.

Zarthon

Explorer
What about a chance of Spell Failure while Spider Climb is active?

My reasoning here is if the caster of Spider Climb needs to have bare hands and feet, would his hands not be sticky? And if his hands are sticky would he not have a problem using a material component?

James McMurray

First Post
My reasoning here is if the caster of Spider Climb needs to have bare hands and feet, would his hands not be sticky? And if his hands are sticky would he not have a problem using a material component?

Nah. Its magic. If it was meant to have spell failure, it would have been included. Obviously the magical adhesive that sticks to the wall only sticks to walls. Otherwise Spider climb would also entail some bonuses and penalties in other situations, such as bonuses versus disarm attempts and penalties to etiquette rolls during dinner because you have a hard time putting your salad fork down when the main course arrives.

Xarlen

First Post
No, I don't think he'd have a problem with the material component. If he has sticky hands, I'd think it'd be a problem Getting the component (I'm stuck to the pouch!), but once he gets it, then all he does is cast the spell, and the component disappears.

Lucius Foxhound

First Post
shadowthorn said:
... Does this mean a Spider Climbing character cannot cast spells or attack with a ranged weapon, since they need all limbs to climb? ...

Well, he can certainly cast any spell without a somatic component while climbing. But I think it's reasonable to assume that someone affected by a Spider-Climb spell can stop moving and cast any spell while clinging to a wall. After all, you only need one hand free to cast a spell (PHB: "A somatic component is a measured and precise movement of the hand or some other part of the body. The character must have at least one hand free to provide a somatic component.") It's reasonably to assume that you can hand on to the wall with one hand.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads