• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Questions: Swordsage (alternate version)

jlhorner1974

First Post
According to the "Adaptation" section (page 20) of the Swordsage class in the Book of Nine Swords:

"To create a monklike character with a tremendous array of fantastic moves and strikes, give the swordsage the monk's unarmed strike progression and remove his light armor proficiency."

I am looking for your interpretations on this, for those that have the Book of Nine Swords.

Questions:

1. Does this cover only unarmed damage, or does it include flurry of blows also? (My guess is they mean only the damage.)

2. Should levels in this Swordsage variant stack with Monk levels to determine unarmed damage? (My guess is that a strict interpretation of the text says no, but the intent of the rule is probably yes. In any case, it doesn't seem like it would be unbalancing to do so.)

Last edited:

pawsplay

Hero
If he has the monk's unarmed progression, then it by definition stacks. Something worded in some other way might not, but he doesn't have a progression identical to the monk, he has the monk's progression.

Thanatos

Banned
Banned
According to everything I have been reading (spending alot of time on the WotC boards):

1. No flurry of blows, only damage.

2. Yes, the monk/ss unarmed damage progression does stack in regards to determining damage dice based on level.

Remove ads