• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Questions that came up in game.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Depends how far you fall in a round, which I don't recall off-hand. If they spend enough time falling to get a turn, the character should be able to activate the ring. That said, I think there's some debate as to teleportation and the conservation of momentum. I rule that teleporting halts prior momentum, but other DMs might not. In other words, if momentum is conserved and you've already fallen 50 ft, then even if you teleport to steady ground, you crash on it for 5d6 damage.

Feather fall is actually unique for a few reasons. One ,as of the introduction of immediate actions, became that instead of a free action. It is "reactionary." Immediate actions in some cases can even occur so instantly, they negate the effect that triggered them! Example: Close wounds can be cast as an immediate action to heal someone for 1d4 +CL hp. If you cast it on a creature that gets dropped to the negatives (dying) or even -10 or lower (dead), it can heal the damage before it takes effect and prevent those conditions from happening! (It's explicitly stated in that spell's description)
The other unique thing about Feather Fall, the ring at least, is that the text sort of makes it sound like the ring activates whether you want it to or not. My friend has a funny anectdote where he notices a lion down below a smal cliff and decides to leap down on it to get the jump, yelling out a battle cry. ...The Dm reminds him of hs ring of feather falling, and says the lion licks its lips... :)
I also wonder if the ring takes your immediate action (as casting the spell would), which would mean you lose your swift action the next round, and could be a pain at least to spellcasters, then.

Noumenon

First Post
Maybe you should have started a new thread, but I'm interested in that too. A standard action should take half the round, right? Three seconds? And in three seconds you fall 9.8m/s/s /2 * 3 s * 3s , right? Which is 44 meters or 145 feet, right? So if the pit were 150 feet deep, you should have time even without a contingency spell, right?

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Well, to be safe, could always require enough fall time for a full round. But barring that, a standard action is more than half a round -- it's worth more than a move action, which you can take 2 of in a round. So if I had to assign it a "time" I'd say 4 seconds, but that's more turning abstraction into hard numbers than I would like to model...

Aeson

I am the mysterious professor.
Maybe you should have started a new thread, but I'm interested in that too. A standard action should take half the round, right? Three seconds? And in three seconds you fall 9.8m/s/s /2 * 3 s * 3s , right? Which is 44 meters or 145 feet, right? So if the pit were 150 feet deep, you should have time even without a contingency spell, right?
I probably should have started a new thread. This was a question that came up in the same game so I used the same thread.

We had one in the group that was pretty good with math. He also came to a similar solution.

It was excellent thinking on the players part. I stopped to ask the others just to make sure it would be fair and within the rules.

Edit: The trap was sprung when walking across out of combat. There were no turns. I did give the monk a chance to grab the one falling but he failed. A failed reflex save and a failed grab seemed like enough attempts. The character survived the fall and then teleported back up.

Last edited:

Noumenon

First Post
Standard action can't be quite 4 seconds, or a move action would be 2 seconds and you could take three in a round. Call it 3.5 seconds. Not that it matters.

Foxworthy

Explorer
I think the confusion came into play when the word supernatural was used for the other entries like enhanced arrows.

I'm almost afraid to ask this. Can you use a ring of teleport to save yourself from a 100ft pit trap? The group as a whole came to the conclusion that there would not be enough reaction time to activate the ring. Feather Fall is meant to work at these times but not a teleport.

I think the Sage Advice suggestion on falling is 500 feet per round. As for taking actions while falling I guess it would depend on whether you fell during your turn or another person's turn.

If you fell during another person turn I'd say no because using the item isn't an immediate action.

If you fall during your turn and still have a standard action then I don't really see why not. It may not be what's intended by the rules, though I haven't really checked up. I guess it really matters on why as a DM you are using the pit trap, whether to challenge the PC's or to deplete resources. Or a combination of the two.

Plus it's not like teleport doesn't have risk of it's own.

You need to specify which die belongs to which attack so you can incorporate the appropriate attack modifiers.

What I do when I'm playing a character with multiple iterative attacks is to use color coded dice (yellow, orange, red, purple, blue, green). Each one applies to one of the attacks (i.e. yellow is for the first attack, orange for the second, and so on).

When I am running a game, I encourage my players to do the same, at the point that one of the results drops an opponent (or really, whenever the player feels like) the remaining attacks (dice whose results have not been resolved, yet) are applied to a different target.

I'm almost afraid to ask this. Can you use a ring of teleport to save yourself from a 100ft pit trap? The group as a whole came to the conclusion that there would not be enough reaction time to activate the ring. Feather Fall is meant to work at these times but not a teleport.

I would probably have ruled the same way. If I was feeling particularly generous, and if the ring of teleportation had a number of charges (or charges per day, or whatever), then I might have allowed the character to expend a charge on his ring for a bonus to the save.

Noumenon

First Post
Each one applies to one of the attacks (i.e. yellow is for the first attack, orange for the second, and so on).

I would suggest ROYGBIV order. You want it to be simple. Or... I have a 2-inch 20-sider, if I could find a couple more sized between that one and a normal one it would be obvious which are which. Then when I played a monk I'd have to get one of those little tiny crystal ones for the fifth die.

The idea of splitting the difference by blowing a charge for a bonus to the save is a really good ruling.

Darklone

Right. You specify your target and attack... if you have attacks left, specify new targets and roll the attack rolls.

Btw: Aeson, there was an old AD&D rule somewhere that all attacks have to be against one target... you're by far not the only one here that has ghosts of old rulesets haunting your game ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads