• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Questions

Caliber

Explorer
Hey everyone. Glad to see most of you made it over.

Here are some more questions. Enjoy. :D

1) What kind of action does Bard Song take exactly? I looked in the PHB and it almost seems like it is a free action. So far I have been letting my bard use it as such (remembering that they cannot cast spells with it) Also, what is the maximum amount of time they can continue to sing. Some songs (like the first one) say they continue to work 5 rounds after the Bard stops. Could they sing all day (sore throats aside)

2) Does the Flaming property of a weapon ignore DR? I have been ruling that it did, ergo the extra 1d6 was energy damage and was not reduced, just like other forms of energy damage is not reduced.

3) Is there any spell that negates Concealment? The Rogue in my party wants an item that would allow him to see through all Concelament. I told him to find me a spell that would allow him to do so and then I would consider the item. Is there a spell out there?

4)An off-hand attack gets .5 your Str bonus. Does this affect the attack bonus for that weapon?

Essentially is a 1st level Fighter using 2 shortswords w/ 14 Str, Ambidexterity, and Two-Weapon Fighting swinging at:

+1/+1 or +1/+0 ?

Last edited:

trentonjoe

Explorer
1. I think it is a free action as long as they don't use their mouths for anything else!

2. I think it is effected by fire resistance not damage resistance.

3. There has to be one but True seeing is all I can think of. There should be one below 6th level even oif there isn't.-Magic missile negates concealment for attack purposes but that may not be what you're looking for.

BlindKobold

First Post
Caliber said:
1) What kind of action does Bard Song take exactly? I looked in the PHB and it almost seems like it is a free action. So far I have been letting my bard use it as such (remembering that they cannot cast spells with it) Also, what is the maximum amount of time they can continue to sing. Some songs (like the first one) say they continue to work 5 rounds after the Bard stops. Could they sing all day (sore throats aside)

There is no rule that says they could not sing all day, although you may want to apply the "forced march" rule after a number of hours equal to their CON divided by 3. Why that formula? The average concert/opera is 2-3 hours. The average CON is probably about 10. 10 CON divided by 3 is 3 hours of singing. I think that's about as much as a person can do without fatiguing themselves. Obviously, higher CONs would grant longer performances.

2) Does the Flaming property of a weapon ignore DR? I have been ruling that it did, ergo the extra 1d6 was energy damage and was not reduced, just like other forms of energy damage is not reduced.

I believe DR is just for weapon type damage. Energy damge (fire, cold, etc.) is completely seperate.

3) Is there any spell that negates Concealment? The Rogue in my party wants an item that would allow him to see through all Concelament. I told him to find me a spell that would allow him to do so and then I would consider the item. Is there a spell out there?

True Strike negates concealment. Nothing else that I know of does. True Seeing may let you see THRU concealment, but the person would still HAVE CONCEALMENT and thus be immune to the rogue's sneak attack, as well as critical strikes.

Grayswandir

Just a lurker
I really don't think you can negate concealment at all. Even true seeing specifically notes that it does not cancel concealment. A true strike allows you to make one attack roll without worrying about the *miss chance* due to concealment, but it does not actually negate concealment either.

SpikeyFreak

First Post
Grayswandir said:
I really don't think you can negate concealment at all. Even true seeing specifically notes that it does not cancel concealment. A true strike allows you to make one attack roll without worrying about the *miss chance* due to concealment, but it does not actually negate concealment either.

I agree.

Negating concealment would be like some kind of strange eye ray that completely removed everything between you and what you want to see.

Now a spell that lets you see through concealment would be feasable, but I don't like the idea of a spell that completely negates concealment for all purposes.

--Hidden

Grayswandir

Just a lurker
SpikeyFreak said:
Negating concealment would be like some kind of strange eye ray that completely removed everything between you and what you want to see.
Now that I think about it ... A ring of x-ray vision might be just the item Caliber's Rogue is looking for. The description in the DMG says nothing about negating concealment, of course, but a kind DM might allow it.

Zhure

First Post
There's a feat in S&F for archers that negates 2 points of concealment. I've got a mental block about the name, though. Sharp Shooter? Maybe.

Greg

pontus

First Post
Zhure said:
There's a feat in S&F for archers that negates 2 points of concealment. I've got a mental block about the name, though. Sharp Shooter? Maybe.
Sharp Shooting. It negates cover, not concealment.

The psionic power Vigilance (exclusive to Psychic Warriors) allows the character to see through darkness and fog, both real and magical.

SpikeyFreak

First Post
Grayswandir said:

Now that I think about it ... A ring of x-ray vision might be just the item Caliber's Rogue is looking for. The description in the DMG says nothing about negating concealment, of course, but a kind DM might allow it.

That doesn't negate concealment, it lets you see through it.

If you shoot a bow at the target, it is still likely to hit what ever is concealing the target.

Grr, can someone spell out the difference between concealment and cover? I can find it in the SRD and IDHMBIFOM.

--Working Spikey

Grayswandir

Just a lurker
Cover is when the opponent is hiding behind something (usually only partially). Concealment is when the opponent is hard to see - from fog, foilage, or invisibility, for example. Cover gives your opponent a Cover bonus to AC, concealment gives you a miss chance when trying to hit your opponent. Thus to negate concealment means that your opponent can be seen, if only by you. The true seeing spell uses the term "cancel concealment" instead of "negate", for what it's worth.

Remove ads