• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Quick Draw Question?

Aluvial

Explorer
What is the use for Quick Draw if you can do the same thing with +1 attack bonus?

Can you retrieve items other than weapons with this, maybe a wand or other magical item for use in combat?

Why would a PC take this?

I think I'm missing something....

Aluvial

Crothian

First Post
Quickdraw is as a free action. With a +1 BAB you do so as part of a move action.

QD and you can also complete a full round attack.

With the +1 BAB you draw on a move action and only attack once.

Dimwhit

Explorer
You can't do the same thing with the +1 attack bonus. With the +1, you can draw a weapon while you're doing a move. Quick Draw allows you to draw the weapon as a free action.

There is debate as to whether it's a good feat. I happen to think it's fantastic. Especially if you have a character that switches weapons a lot.

Murrdox

First Post
We ruled in our group that Quickdraw works for a variety of things - basically, as long as you're pulling out an item that would normally be a move-equivalent action, you're allowed to use Quickdraw to turn it into a free action.

We had a Wizard who had a Bag of Holding at his waist with 10 loaded Heavy Crossbows in it. Since all the bag HAS in it are crossbows, drawing one is a MEA. So, we ruled he can quickdraw the crossbow as a free action, move his movement, and fire it. We allow the same general function with wands, potions, and scrolls as well.

Basically, we've made quickdraw a bit more general to make it a little bit more like "Quick Pockets". As long as you don't have to root around in your backpack for the item you want (it's at your waist somewhere, whether in a belt for multiple wands, a potion belt, a scroll case at your waist, etc... you can get it out as a free action with Quickdraw.

Murrdox

First Post
Personally, I think that drawing a weapon from its sheath should be a free action anyways... I mean, that's why you have it readied at your side, isn't it?? I mean, if you really want to QUICKDRAW and see who can pull out their bow and fire first, you'd either have an initiative or dexterity contest.

So I really don't have much of a problem with expanding the definition of "Quickdraw" to include things beside "weapons".

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
I have found Quickdraw is a fabulous feat for certain characters.

I once played a Ranger who was Frontline Dude #3 in a largish party. He was constantly changing weapons as the situation shifted. Without Quickdraw he would be losing actions or dropping weapons on the ground, or both.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Quick draw doesn't allow you to sheath weapons as a free action so he'd still have to be dropping them.

Depends on your interpretation of losing an action...

Without Quick Draw, it takes a whole round to sheathe one weapon and draw another. With Quick Draw, you can sheathe one as an MEA, draw the other as a Free Action, and still make an attack... so because of Quick Draw, he's not losing an attack that he normally would, and he doesn't have to drop any weapons...

-Hyp.

Remove ads