• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Quick Healer question

Basin?

First Post
In the miniatures handbook, it doesn't say anywhere that the Healer has the cleric's ability to swap a memorized spell for a cure spell, doesn't this seem like an essential ability for a healer, especially since the cleric gets it? Am I just reading something wrong?

Scion

First Post
I dont see it either, and with their incredibly limited spell selection plus dual casting stat nature I dont think it would be over the top to allow them to spontaneously cast all of the spells allowed to them. At least one level only has 2 spells anyway!

da chicken

First Post
Scion said:
I dont see it either, and with their incredibly limited spell selection plus dual casting stat nature I dont think it would be over the top to allow them to spontaneously cast all of the spells allowed to them.

Er, actually, that's how they work.

Healers do not prepare spells. That can cast any spell from their list. They're like sorcerers, except that they automatically "know" every spell on their list. Warmages are the same way.

Basin?

First Post
With respect da chicken, I do not think you are correct. Under the spells paragraph in the class decription it says:

A healer may prepare and cast any spell on the healer spell list (see below), provided she can cast spells of that level, but she must choose which spells to prepare during her daily meditation.

The only reason I can see that they wouldn't have given them spontaneous casting is that the healer gets more spells per day than other casters, even if you count domains for clerics and school specialization for wizards.

Nitpick: Scion, every level has at least three spells, but you remain correct that their list is extremely limited. I guess their limited list and generous spell slots removes most of the need for spontaneous casting.

da chicken

First Post
Wow, you're right Basin?. Sorry about that. :) Gee. Healer just totally sucks. I'm no longer certain that Warmage is the worst class ever!

However, to answer you original question, no, Healers do not have spontaneous curing. If they did, the entry would explicitly state so. Yes, the probably means Healers are worse at healing than Clerics.

I guess their limited list and generous spell slots removes most of the need for spontaneous casting.

That makes no sense. "You're already screwed once, so what the harm in doing it again?"

I'd highly recommend playing Healers as Scion recommends. We had an NPC one that played this way, and it was still nearly useless.

Scion

First Post
warmage works pretty well with the theurge ;) sortof

sorry about the 2 spell level, I completely missed gate somehow.

Still though, even with them being able to spontaneously cast all of their spells they still kindof suck, poor healer class :( more npc than pc.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads