• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Quick Item Creation Question

Malin Genie

First Post
If a magic item lists a prerequisite spell, is having the corresponding spell-like ability enough to allow creation of the item, or does the character actually have to be able to cast it as a spell?

(The specific circumstances are that I have a character who is interested in the Divine Agent PrC, which grants commune and domain spells as spell-like abilities, and I want to know whether Create Wondrous Item will be a worthwhile Feat to take or not.)

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
"A spell prerequisite may be provided by a character who has prepared the spell (or who knows the spell, in the case of a sorcerer or bard), or through the use of a spell completion or spell trigger magic item or a spell-like ability that produces the desired spell effect."

-Hyp.

Malin Genie

First Post
Thank you! The SRD is not clear on this issue (didn't have my DMG with me,) it doesn't mention SLAs one way or the other.

The 3.5 SRD said:
If spells are involved in the prerequisites for making the item, the creator must have prepared the spells to be cast (or must know the spells, in the case of a sorcerer or bard) but need not provide any material components or focuses the spells require, nor are any XP costs inherent in a prerequisite spell incurred in the creation of the item. The act of working on the item triggers the prepared spells, making them unavailable for casting during each day of the item’s creation. (That is, those spell slots are expended from his currently prepared spells, just as if they had been cast.)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Malin Genie said:
The SRD is not clear on this issue (didn't have my DMG with me,) it doesn't mention SLAs one way or the other.

I quoted from the SRD :)

You're looking under 'Item Creation'.

Look in the main 'Magic Items' overview, under the description of 'Prerequisites'.

-Hyp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads