• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Quick long rest question

aramis erak

Legend
I disallow the long rest for any character who casts a spell or makes an attack in combat. 30 seconds of fight takes 30 minutes or more to come down from.

devincutler

Explorer
"We need to rest."

"Fine, we'll clear the rest of the level while we're resting."

Exactly. I can't think of too many adventure episodes that take more than an hour of any sort of activity, so I'd be inclined to, as a player, before entering any set piece dungeon or caves, to state I am starting a long rest and then head in. I can almost guarantee I will take much less than an hour and there ya go.

An hour may be the official ruling, but it's ludicrous. Anything that gets your adrenaline pumping is going to screw up your long rest IMO. That means even a few rounds of combat, or moving in dangerous circumstances (i.e. any dungeon setting), or casting spells in a stressful situation.

Here's a way I'd probably adjudicate it:

If you get XP, it ain't a long rest. Plain and simple.

pedro2112

First Post
I agree with both Devin and Tony. I was just relaying what was said by the developer. I think it was Crawford. One of my first houserules was to do away with this.

Azurewraith

Explorer
Then if you take any prisoners, getting them secured will take several minutes at least, and either way you're going to spend a few more minutes stripping them of their valuables.

Wait what taking some one prisoner? what is this pr-is-o-ner you speak of i do not under stand this word it is not in my Oxford murderhobo dictionary

Ok on a more constructive not i think long rests are hard to break up due to well usually at my table anyway the party dont just take a long rest its more of a PLEAE MR GM IM DOWN TO 3HP AND HAVE NO SPELLS IS IT SAFE TO REST PLEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAASSSSSS!!!! Its to protect those guys from wandering monsters etc. You can all ways trick your players by having them roll perception and having a wandering peddler/carvan roll up instead

I do agree its ridiculous that combat doesn't cancel combat i can tell you this when im working a late shift i finish at 10PM if im then opening up ill be in the next day at 6Am can i sleep as soon as i get back home no i cant because my brain is awake from work as well is my body from the 10min walk home

Last edited:

garnuk

First Post
I believe the hour of combat is needed to prevent a party from never getting a long rest because of wondering monsters.

But I just wanted to say... "A quick long rest? Can't happen" :p

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads