• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Quick Paladin question

Sordath

Explorer
Do the -2 attack penalties to marked opponents from Divine Challenge and Enfeebling strike stack?

If so that seems like a very effective combination!

Do Fighters and Paladins compare well as defenders or would you say one has the edge over the other?

To answer your defender question, I think the two classes stack up to each other about equal. The fighter does more damage due to better control in the field, but the paladin has heals and buffs which keep people alive/protected.

I was recently playing in a group doing KotS and we were fortunate enough to have both a fighter (me) and a Paladin. I think I did slightly more damage than him, but I was fairly jealous of some of his abilities as well: as a tank, using Valiant Strike, he was able to dive into minions and get some pretty hefty bonuses to his attacks.

From what I saw, Paladins make great single target tanks.

I should note that we did not have a controller (mage), so it was fairly important that we smothered minions quickly and kept the non-minons under control. I think individually, we were quite successful, but as a team, we were awesome. It created alot of CA situations for the rogue as well.

I think Paladins aren't that good against solos/elites. Anything with enough hit points to not worry about the damage from divine challenge can just go after a better target then the paladin and therefore save itself damage in the long run.

Let's take a level 1 party for example. Many paladins buy plate and a heavy shield at level 1 for an AC of 20. For this example I will assume 18 on prime stat, 16 secondary stat. So a paladin is going to do about 1d8+4 on their attack, and 7 damage more if the divine challenge damage goes off, for a total of 1d8+11. Now the rogue will have an 16 ac with leather armor and 18 dex. For damage let's go with sly flourish, it's a solid damage at will. 1d4+2d6(8)+7. ( In my opinion all rogues should take backstabber at level 1 but an opinion is an opinion ). Average Paladin damage 15.5 damage. Average Rogue damage 16.5 ( 18.5) with backstabber. With the minus 2 from the mark resulting from divine challenge, the rogue is still easier to hit.

So the rogue does more damage ( even with divine challenge factored in), is easier to hit ( even with divine challenge factored in) and has less hit points ( usually ).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads