• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Quick Play/Miniatures

Kurzon

First Post
Hi folks. Can someone tell me if there was ever a cut-down, quick play version of the 4e rules published? Or perhaps a set of rules tailored for quick miniatures play?

I used to play 3e, never played 4e, and eventually stopped playing altogether due to time constraints. But over the last 2 years I’ve been having lots of fun with the Adventure System board games, and I think I’d like to take it up a notch of complexity while keeping it something casual that can be played in 1 – 2 hours with miniatures and tiles.

Any help is much appreciated!

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
There was a starter box with 6 minis (including a medium-size, young green dragon) and a 2-sided battle map, and a rules booklet to get you playing quickly.

I'd be dubious of being able to find the box-set now, but I know the rules were (are?) available online. Check the WOTC website for D&D_RPG_Starter_Set_Quickstart_(4e). It's 27 pages, with a copyright notice of "2009 Wizards of the Coast LLC. Permission granted to photocopy for personal use only."

I believe it's a free download, but I could be mistaken.

D'karr

Adventurer
The Miniatures game was a separate product from 4e but it came with 5 minis and a large dragon so it used to be a good value. However, some of the original physical items are very expensive to buy nowadays. And keep in mind that some evolved as the game mechanics evolved to be much better than the originals. So the earlier in the production cycle something was produced the greater the chances that it has some clunkiness for roleplay aspects, but is perfectly OK for miniatures play.

The Initial Rules 4e Starter Set comes with a quick adventure, a quick primer of rules and some token cards for monsters, NPCs, etc.

Essentials Starter Set was the revamp of the rules for the Essentials product line but even this product suffered from being produced before the rules were completed, so it differs from the final Essentials product line rules. The quick adventure is OK, and the rules are solid but do not match products that came after. Character creation is done in a follow your path format with the path followed leading you to a character choice (Wizard, Fighter, Rogue or Cleric). And the product comes with power cards for those character classes.

Miniatures Starter Set is the miniatures combat game system. A simplified format where miniatures have point values, etc. The miniature cards resemble the monster cards from the Adventure System Board Games, but are not suited for use in that game. This game did not receive much support in this particular incarnation and disappeared quite quickly from the product landscape.

So the suggestion of using the free quick starter and Keep on the Shadowfell to get your feet wet is at least an OK one. Keep in mind that Keep on the Shadowfell is, IMO, one of the worse ways of introducing anyone to the 4e roleplaying game, but as a quick miniatures romp it is serviceable.

If you really want to take a look at the game for roleplaying purposes I'd rather recommend using the adventure Reavers of Harkenwold, which is part of the Essentials DM Kit, as a good starting point.

If you are not interested in the roleplaying aspects of the game almost any version of 4e will provide a very solid framework for miniatures game play. If you are interested in the roleplaying aspects opinions differ as to what products provide the best support. I'm a proponent that roleplay aspects are something the group works out so for me any of the products was quite efficient, though skill challenges in the original DMG were presented pretty poorly.

Jhaelen

First Post
Yup, the latest incarnation of the D&D Miniatures Game which was something of a 4e combat preview was taken over by the DDMGuild. They have released stats for all D&D Minis and created a few expansions of their own, e.g. items.

And after that, WotC released five sets for Dungeon Command before it was discontinued. Dungeon Command is a rather interesting hybrid between a trading card game and a miniature skirmish.

Tony Vargas

Legend
. But over the last 2 years I’ve been having lots of fun with the Adventure System board games, and I think I’d like to take it up a notch of complexity while keeping it something casual that can be played in 1 – 2 hours with miniatures and tiles.
You can play through a 4e combat in 1-2 hours. Faster if you start with the simpler Essentials classes - Slayer, Knight, Thief, Warpriest (all from Heroes of the Forgotten Land), and Elemental Sorcerer (Heroes of the Elemental Chaos). Encounters adventures lent themselves to that kind of play, and had pregen characters on half-sheet cards, poster maps, and tokens. You can download 'em these days, I've heard, but it's not the same as having the packet.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads